A letter of recommendation is a document drafted for a person who might be applying for a job, internship, college, etc. This document holds great significance during the hiring process of a candidate. The purpose of a letter of recommendation is to approve the candidate’s skills, performance as well as his/her work ethic. It is important to understand how to write a letter of recommendation. These letters are usually written by supervisors, colleagues or a friend.
Also, click here to know the basic points & format on how to write an email professionally.
Tips on Writing a Letter of Recommendation
A letter of recommendation helps add weightage to a job application or college application, whichever might be the case. Therefore, before you promise to write one, make sure you have adequate stories and examples that will put the candidate in a positive light.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind while writing a letter of recommendation:
- Make A List: Before you start writing the letter, make a list of all the strengths and capabilities of the candidate. Try to come up with at least 2-3.
- Examples: Once you have an idea of the skills and strengths you want to highlight, think of examples. These examples should demonstrate the times when the candidate displayed those skills.
- Don’t Exaggerate: While it is our aim to show the candidate in a positive light, try not to exaggerate things. Keep them precise and honest.
Format of a Recommendation Letter
A letter of recommendation must contain the following elements:
- An Introduction: Start with a brief introduction. State your relationship with the applicant as well as personal experience.
- An overview: Next up, write an overview of all the strengths you want to emphasize. Also, mention how you have personally experienced it.
- Personal Experience: After talking about the strengths, try to add a personal experience or story that elaborates on the same strengths and skills.
- A Closing Comment: In the end, add a closing statement that should explain in brief why the candidate would be a perfect fit for the new job role or college, etc.
- Signature: Sign off the letter by adding your name as well as contact information.
Sample Recommendation Letter
Subject: Letter of recommendation
To Whom it May Concern:
It is my pleasure to strongly recommend [Candidate Name] for [Position at the Company] or [Acceptance at an Institution].
I am [Name of the supervisor/colleague/friend]], working as [Job Position] at [Company name]. I have [number of years] experience working in [Field of work/industry] and have witnessed the work of several young professionals. However, [Candidate Name] is that one person I have worked with who stands out uniquely.
During our time together, [Applicant Name] demonstrated great talents in [Skill, Attribute, Experience, etc]. When we first met, I was immediately impressed with them, but during the time we worked together, their knowledge and perception of [Highlighting topic] developed far more than that of her companions.
[Insert personal story emphasizing on the key skill, topic, etc]
Moreover, it is not just their technical skills that impress me. [Candidate Name] was a joy to work with because of their amazingly positive attitude as well as [A positive trait].
I am absolutely confident that [Candidate Name] would be a great fit for your [Institution/Company]. Not only will they bring the kind of skills and experiences you are looking for in an applicant, but they will also quickly become an asset and help your [Institution/Company] grow in any way they can.
In case you require further information, do not hesitate to reach me at [Contact Information]. As a recommendation letter likely only provides a brief idea of their capabilities and achievements, I would be happy to further elaborate on my time working with them.
Author : Washija
Washija is a content specialist at Receptix. She has an MBA in Tourism and a passion for creating web content. She is an avid reader, a traveler, and a versatile writer. She has been writing on the topics of education, career advice, and related areas for the past 3 years.