In October 2010, Lesotho’s Ministry of Health (MOH) developed a national draft strategic and operational plan for establishing safe Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision (VMMC) and Early Infant Male Circumcision (EIMC) services in a prevention effort to reduce HIV transmission. Jhpiego in Lesotho, in support of and in collaboration with the MOH, provides VMMC training, services and quality assurance together with technical assistance in Lesotho .
Jhpiego is looking for highly qualified candidates to fill In the following positions under TSEPO Program based at the following Jhpiego supported sites: Berea, Leribe, Mafeteng, Mohale’s Hoek, KHOTLA Male Clinic – Scott Hospital and Queen Elizabeth II Hospital.
VMMC Doctor (x1)
VMMC Doctor works closely with Jhpiego Lesotho’s VMMC/EIMC Technical Advisor and other staff, and Is responsible for the provision of quality VMMC services In Lesotho.
The VMMC Doctor will work with a team of nurses and counselors to ensure high quality VMMC services are offered at MOH-Jhpiego supported sites. The position is based regionally at the VMMC sites The VMMC Doctor has the following responsibilities but not limited to:
- Leading and guiding the team (s) for a better performing VMMC program e.g. better planning, better execution of plans, strategic thinking, good communication skills
- Conducting male circumcision surgeries under local anaesthesia according to national, WHO and PEPFAR guidelines
- Ability to mobilize and create demand for VMMC uptake as a person and together with the teams. Innovative activities and Ideas on reaching more target groups for VMMC services.
- Conducting male circumcisions through PrePex, under WHO and PEPFAR guidelines
- Working with nurses and counsellors to ensure high-quality counselling is provided to all clients
- Reporting any AEs on time with the respect of reporting guidelines (to the team, 3hplego online reporting system)
- Adhere to national guidelines and SOPs
- Ensure VMMC tools are filled properly at all times for quality data management
- Ensure that moderate and severe AES are Identified, classified, properly managed, documented and reported. Build capacity within team (s) on how to Identify, classify, manage, document and report in case of your absence.
- Ensure availability of emergency up to date equipment in theatre
- Ensure medications, commodities and supplies Inventory system Is In use
- Participate in trainings, from preparations to Implementations of these trainings.
- Ensure quality of service is offered to all VMMC clients
- Ensure quality of services initiatives fare in place and functional
- Maintaining quality aspects through CQI, EQA, Supportive Supervision, AEs management and reporting, on job trainings, waste management, Infection Prevention Control and proper consenting processes & acquisition
- Ensures patient information is accurately recorded at sites; and treated with high confidentiality
- Working together will all cadres within a team (nurses, counsellors, data/admin clerks, drivers, mobilizers, volunteers)
- Making sure the team (s) use (s) data properly for decision making and work improvement.
- Building capacity one oneself relevantly and resolve any conflicts or misunderstandings or problems within teams.
- Performing other reasonable duties as assigned by immediate supervisor or other team members e.g. supporting other Jhpiego projects, supporting other activities, supporting private practitioners in offering quality VMMC services etc.
Qualifications, Experience and Requirements
- Medical Doctor with strong surgical skills
- Valid registration with the Lesotho Medical, Dental and Pharmacy Council
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience In a surgical and/or clinical setting
- Knowledge of male circumcision and circumcision surgical techniques according to PEPFAR and WHO recommendations.
- Good knowledge of HIV/AIDS preventive interventions
- Demonstrated experience with training and mentoring of health workers/clinical staff
- Excellent problem-solving, decision-making, organizational and communication skills, with ability to prioritize multiple tasks and work effectively In a demanding environment
- Excellent Interpersonal and communication skills
- Computer Skills, including MS Office Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Willingness to travel frequently to clinical facilities throughout Lesotho to support VMMC program services.
Jhpiego offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive employee benefits package.
Note: The successful candidate selected for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation. Correspondence wild be communicated with shortlisted candidates only
Jhpiego is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Interested candidates should submit application letter, CVs, certified copies of certificates and transcripts, two letters of references(one from the current employer)s, identity document, certified copy of recent retention certificate from relevant professional body and certified copy of licensure issued by relevant professional body, and self-assessment (information on how to conduct self-assessment available from Jhpiego offices). All applications addressed for the attention of Senior Human Resources and Operations Manager must be hand delivered to Jhpiego Office Dolphin House #2, ground floor, 23 Motsoene Road, Industrial Area Maseru by 12 pm on Friday, 290 June 2018. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. For further information about Jhpiego, visit our website at wwwjhpiego.org.