The Associated Press seeks a talented and aggressive visual journalist with a history of successful television and online video storytelling to join its team in South Africa as a videojournalist.
Responsibilities: Reporting to the senior producer in Johannesburg, this videojournalist will primarily shoot, write and edit video – including LIVE video – stories for AP’s broadcast, digital and mobile customers and platforms. As a member of a dynamic, round-the-clock operation that covers southern Africa, the successful candidate must also pitch, develop and research enterprise stories and contribute reporting in other media formats – including text, photos and audio – to help produce a competitive and comprehensive all-formats news report. The successful candidate will use video, graphics and editing techniques to deliver visually engaging journalism, and must also be prepared to travel – often at short notice – extensively to cover breaking news. This newsperson must have the ability and willingness to work any shift, including at night and on weekends, or as coverage demands, as AP is a 24/7 operation.
The successful candidate will:
- have a demonstrated history of success as a videojournalist, with a record of creating compelling visual journalism on deadline and the production of visual enterprise that is illuminating and compelling.
- work among a team of journalists, reporters and editors to deliver spot, sports and enterprise video that breaks news, has impact and is exclusive to AP.
- have strong communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively with the diverse team of journalists at the AP who operate in all formats: text, photo, video, audio, digital/social, interactive and graphics.
- have a great news sense, with the ability to communicate stories that people will want to share, like and talk about on social media and other platforms.
- routinely contribute to the text and photo report as coverage needs require and pursue innovative coverage techniques while maintaining AP’s standards for integrity and objectivity.
Qualifications: Candidates must possess advanced individual technical skills in the creation of video content, as well as the ability to work within an all-formats team to apply those skills from start to finish on breaking news and short- and long-term projects. The successful candidate will be creative, innovative and agile, and work effectively in a deadline-driven, dynamic and competitive newsroom and field environment. Strong interpersonal, organizational and planning skills, including the ability to prioritize work, are a must, as is strong news judgment and a quick reaction — at all hours — to breaking news. The successful candidate should have at least two years of full-time news experience as a video journalist at a daily newspaper, broadcast station, online or digital news outlet, or an AP bureau or regional desk.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Authorization to work in South Africa will be mandatory.
- Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English. Professional competency in a language besides English is a plus.
- Advanced-level professional competency in video shooting and non-linear editing, preferably with Adobe Premiere.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to juggle multiple projects across formats and deliver success on a complex, challenging story lines.
THE DEADLINE TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION IS APRIL 12, 2021 AT 11:59 PM EST.
AP seeks to build an inclusive organization grounded in respect for differences. We support all aspects of diversity and provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or status as a veteran in accordance with applicable nondiscrimination laws.