Application Deadline: 31 July 2021
Do you have a promising idea to connect the unconnected and close the digital divide?
The world today has 1.8 billion young people between the ages of 10 and 24; almost to 90 per cent of whom live in developing countries. Africa’s population is 1.2 billion. Forty-one per cent of its population is below the age of 15; and 19 per cent are between 15 and 24 years old. Young people — especially girls and young women — in many developed and developing countries face disproportionate exposure to poverty and unemployment.
Internet connection provides opportunities for young people to access education, quality health care and other necessities. Generation Connect, ITU’s youth strategy initiative, aims to improve the lives of young people around the world and ensure meaningful participation of youth as key stakeholders in ITU’s implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
The Generation Connect Video Pitch Challenge seeks promising and meaningful ideas to connect the unconnected to close the digital divide, highlighting the importance of youth involvement.
- Young ICT enthusiasts aged between 18 to 30 years are eligible to participate in this challenge.
- Participants must share their ideas through a story on how ITU can achieve its goals to connect the unconnected and close the digital divide.
- This story must be conveyed through a video recording no longer than one minute.
Applicant’s video pitch must fit to one of the following categories/topics:
|Capacity building||Brings digital skills to society.|
|Cybersecurity||Offers solutions that promote online safety and security.|
|Digital inclusion||Empowers people with specific needs; including indigenous peoples, people in rural areas, persons with disabilities, and youth and children.|
|Climate change and environment||Helps countries mitigate and adapt to the effects of climate change.|
|Emergency telecommunication||Enhances disaster risk reduction and improves national emergency telecommunications and early warning and monitoring systems.|
|ICT applications||Enhances citizens’ lives, promoting smart living and improving public service availability.|
|Regulatory and enabling environment||Enables collaboration for a sound policy, legal and regulatory environment for digital development.|
|Technology and network development||Enables reliable ICT infrastructure and services for all.|
|Data and indicators||Facilitates evidence-based data collection and analysis to measure the information society and promote informed decision making.|
- The top 10 winning submissions will be featured at the Generation Connect Youth Summit.
- Their creators will also be invited to participate virtually in the event and join the Generation Connect virtual community.
- Standout ideas to be featured on “International Youth Day” during The Road to Addis
- Only submissions which are accompanied by the application form (duly completed in English and signed) and are received before 5pm Central Eastern Time on the deadline date mentioned on this website will be considered.
- Submissions are only possible via email to [email protected].
- You will also have to register your idea which is described in your submission at the dedicated link https://cocreate.itu.int/category/223278 .
*Important: The information provided in the uploaded forms will remain confidential and will only be used for internal processes and it’s GDPR compliant. Only the information filled-out on the platform will be made public. This includes the name of the project, image representing the project (logo or other) and brief descriptions about the project and the problem is trying to solve.
- We are looking for promising and meaningful ideas to connect the unconnected to close the digital divide, highlighting the importance of youth involvement.
- Deadline for applications is the 31st of July 2021. The winners will be selected on the 15th of August 2021.
- Winning submissions will be featured at the Generation Connect Youth Summit. Their creators will also be invited to participate virtually in the event and join the Generation Connect virtual community. Standout ideas to be featured on “International Youth Day” during The Road to Addis.
For More Information: