at Stack Overflow
Anywhere (In-Office or Remote with time zone in UTC-8:00 to UTC+3:00)
The Test Engineering team at Stack Overflow is a new team dedicated to improving the productivity of all of Stack Overflow’s engineers. Your work will have a company-wide impact as we:
- Assist teams in increasing their test coverage and improving the testability of their services.
- Build tools and services that enable teams to run every type of test across every configuration, every time a change is committed.
You will have the opportunity to apply a variety of different skills and use a number of different technologies and tools over the course of your work, given the nature of our mission. We don’t expect you to know everything coming in, so we’ll pair you with mentors who will help you learn and develop.
- You have solid programming skills in your language of choice (not necessarily ours) and a track record of getting stuff done.
- You have 3+ years programming experience including substantial time spent working on test automation. Experience in our stack (C#, ASP.NET, and Microsoft SQL Server) is a plus, but not a requirement.
- You are interested in and have an aptitude for test and process automation.
- You have experience using scripting languages such as PowerShell or bash to automate non-trivial tasks.
- You have experience provisioning and using infrastructure on public clouds such as Azure or AWS.
- You’re self-motivated, self-directed and a great communicator.
We’d also love if you have experience with one or more of these things:
- working remotely and/or working with teams that are distributed geographically.
- infrastructure provisioning tools such as Terraform.
- containers, Docker and Kubernetes.
- testing tools such as Selenium or Puppeteer.
- continuous integration platforms such as TeamCity, Jenkins or Azure Pipelines.
- administering Windows and/or Linux systems.
We don’t consider applications without cover letters – please make sure to include yours, and make sure to tell us what about Stack Overflow (and not just the role) interests you in working here. We promise – we read every single one.
What you’ll get in return:
- Flexible hours
- 20 days paid vacation + holidays
- Completely free health insurance – no copay, no premiums (US residents)
- Generous parental leave (10-16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and unlimited sick days
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
If you want to work remotely…We’ll help you set up a great home office, with an ergonomic chair, standing desk, and any other equipment you need to do your job.
If you want to work in our office… You’ll get your own private office in our headquarters in New York City, and enjoy additional benefits like free lunch every day prepared by our own in-house chefs, transportation reimbursement, and all the espresso you can drink.
About Stack Overflow
Stack Overflow is the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. More than 50 million professional and aspiring programmers visit Stack Overflow each month to help solve coding problems, develop new skills, and find job opportunities.
We partner with businesses to help them understand, hire, engage, and enable the world’s developers. Our products and services are focused on developer marketing, technical recruiting, market research, and enterprise knowledge sharing.
We believe in hiring smart people and getting out of their way. We have an office in New York with some of the best amenities of any New York startup, and we have people who work remotely all over the world. We keep meetings and ceremony to an absolute minimum.
What we value:
- Servant Leadership: We lead by empowering and inspiring people to do their best work, not by micromanaging. We hire smart people, set them up for success, then get out of their way.
- Collaboration: The best products are created when people from different backgrounds and disciplines work closely together in an environment of respect and trust.
- Transparency: Trust is built on openness and transparency. If there is not a good reason to keep it a secret, we share it. For example, we share our complete engineering salary formula.
- Inclusion: We do our best work when we can be our whole selves at work. We’re committed to policies and benefits that support people, and leaders who foster an open and inclusive culture.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.