Hours: Temporary; Five weeks
Location: Position based at either Quthing Hospital and /or Machabeng Hospital
Salary: Commensurate with required experience and qualifications
University Research Co., LLC (URC)
URC is a global company dedicated to improving the quality of health care, social services, and health education worldwide. With a non-profit affiliate, the Center for Human Services (CHS), URC manages projects in over 45 countries, including the United States.
Established in 1965, URC offers a range of technical assistance to strengthen health and social systems and service quality by empowering communities and health workers to identify and scale up locally appropriate solutions to critical problems. Internationally, we expand access to and improve the quality of services addressing maternal, newborn, and child health; infectious diseases, including HIV/AIDS, TB, and malaria; reproductive health and family planning; food and nutrition; and vulnerable children and families. In the US, we focus on improving communication related to issues like substance abuse, with a particular focus on reaching underserved populations.
URC’s mission is to provide innovative, evidence-based solutions to health and social challenges worldwide. Please join us in carrying out our mission (http://www.urc-chs.com/
Division & Project Overview:
Center for Innovation and Technology (CIT) is one of three international program divisions at URC/CHS and manages field-based health and development programs through a range of U.S. government funding mechanisms, including USAID, CDC, DOS, DTRA, and MCC. CIT currently supports projects in more than a dozen countries in Southern Africa, Asia, and the Middle East among which is the CDC Lab Project.
Roles and Responsibilities:
URC is seeking two Temporary Laboratory Technicians to support the CIT CDC Lab Project team in Lesotho. The incumbent will be responsible for HIV Viral Load Quantification and TB Laboratory Diagnosis where applicable. He/she will adhere to Laboratory Operation Standards, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), implementation of safety precautionary standards, quality assurances, sample receptions, analysis, results and report compilation as well as daily operator preventative maintenance of laboratory equipment.
Responsible for performing moderate and high complexity laboratory testing. Analyzes, reviews, and reports test results and quality control results and takes remedial action when indicated. Ensures specimen integrity by adhering to the laboratory’s procedures for specimen handling and processing. Adheres to Departmental policies and procedures to include departmental programs, quality control, quality assurance, and safety.
Promotes quality client/patient relations and creates supportive climate by serving as a role model for behavior. Respects and maintains the confidentiality of information relative to the laboratory. Adheres to all laboratory policies and regulations. Works with minimal direction. Functions as a liaison between the laboratory and the laboratory clients. Operates general laboratory equipment, including but not limited to: telephones, computer keyboards, automated analyzers Viral Load and CD4, TB Microcopy, culture and sensitivity (Where applicable) centrifuges, microscopes, manual and automated pipettes. Effectively communicates via written, verbal, face-to-face, telephone, and computer methods.
Utilizes technical skills and abilities to perform laboratory testing
- Ability to competently perform all tests in moderate and high complexity testing.
- Follows laboratory procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analysis, reporting, and maintaining records of patient results.
- Understands and operates test systems proficiently.
- Ability to troubleshoot test systems and take appropriate action where indicated.
Utilizes job knowledge, judgment, and problem solving skills to ensure quality
- Follows established policies and procedures for quality control performance and documentation.
- Performs and documents scheduled and unscheduled preventative maintenance.
- Identifies problems which may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and takes appropriate action, including supervisor notification if indicated.
- Understands and follows all safety, infection control, and Bloodborne Pathogen guidelines.
- Participates in departmental quality assurance programs.
- Participates in the laboratory continuing education program.
Effectively utilizes Departmental resources
- Demonstrates efficiency by performing procedures rapidly and determining priority.
- Utilizes appropriate supplies with minimal waste.
- Operates equipment to maximize efficiency and minimize down time.
- Utilizes unstructured time constructively.
Utilizes personal and professional skills to promote customer relations.
- Communicates with laboratory staff and its clients to ensure quality patient care.
- Maintains and supports a service oriented relationship with its customers.
- Respects and maintains the confidentiality of information relative to clients and patients.
- Strives to maintain a positive work environment.
- Enthusiastically performs miscellaneous duties with completion in a designated time frame.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum of Diploma in Medical Laboratory Science from a recognized institution.
- Experience working in a busy general hospital and/or research laboratory is desired, but not required.
- Good competency, training and leadership skills
- Experience with USG funded programs and reporting requirements will be an added advantage.
- Experience in report writing and analyzing data.
Knowledge and Skills
- Quality oriented
- Problem solving
- Computer literacy
- Good Communication and writing skills
URC is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We value and seek diversity in our workforce.