For more info about the cluster, please visit https://www.csir.co.za/advanced-agriculture-and-food
- Ensure appropriate best practice and compliance with agreed quality and safety standards such as Good Laboratory Practise, Good Manufacturing Practise, and execution of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to required performance requirements;
- Operate equipment in the pilot plant and monitor their efficient operation, and ensure that they are well-maintained;
- Assist with writing of SOPs of selected machinery;
- Assist researchers in projects that require use of pilot plant equipment and space, and help in method development.
- Participate in good housekeeping activities;
- Help both internal and external clients in their research and product development projects where specific equipment in the pilot plant is used.
- Comply with the laboratory’s Environmental Health and Safety procedures
- Independently interpret results to validate accuracy of experimental designs
- Diagnose equipment, maintenance and or operational problems and propose an ideal solution the supervisor.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering, food technology or related fields with at least five years’ experience in operating pilot scale and industrial scale such as spray dryers, extruders, oil presses, mills and microwave ovens;
- A Master’s degree would be advantageous;
- Experience in food processing such as operating canning equipment, steam lines and retorts, as well as operation of climate cabinets for basic shelf life studies of processed food commodities;
- Ability to clean and maintain industrial equipment in pilot plant facilities, which include compliance with quality management systems and Good Laboratory manufacturing practise;
- A strong background and record of pilot plant operations, equipment maintenance and safety;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are required, as well as interpersonal communication;
- Proficiency with MS office suite and relevant scientific software is required.
Closing date: 24 May 2019
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
For more info, please contact the CSIR Recruitment Centre on 012 841 4774 or email us at [email protected]
The CSIR is an equal opportunity employer. As such, it is committed to the Employment Equity Act of 1998. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or SAPS (in relation to positions that require trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances) and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history. The CSIR reserves the right to remove the advertisement at any time before the stated closing date and it further reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.