The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease. We work in low- and middle-income countries by strengthening the capabilities of governments and globally by using business-oriented strategies to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
CHAI began working in Lesotho in 2004 to help the government reduce HIV by introducing better treatment for adults and children and eliminating mother-to-child transmission. CHAI-Lesotho program has grown since its inception to managing multiple projects.
About the Oxygen Program
Treatment for those experiencing acute respiratory distress requires oxygen therapy to support breathing. In the context of COVID-19, published data on the literature has all in agreement that COVID-19 patients require hospitalization, particularly those severe and critical cases, almost all of whom require oxygen therapy. In the absence of a proven therapeutic, medical oxygen and supportive respiratory care is a vital lifesaving intervention. The CHAI’s oxygen program aims at improving the capacity and infrastructure for sustainable oxygen delivery to both COVID-19 patients as immediate support and scale-up of Oxygen therapy for broader respiratory diseases in the long run.
We are seeking a highly motivated Oxygen Technical Advisor with outstanding analytical ability, technical skills, organization, and communication. The candidate must be self-driven, adaptable, and have a high level of comfort with ambiguity. S/he will be expected to function independently and flexibly with little oversight. S/he must be self-assured, a fast learner, resilient, and a strong team player. CHAI places a high value on relevant personal qualities: resourcefulness, responsibility, tenacity, independence, energy, and work ethic.
The Technical Advisor will be starting a program to provide technical assistance around oxygen supply and delivery. The Technical Advisor reports directly to the Country Director and manages a team at national level. S/he will provide the day-to-day management on program implementation, ensures timely completion and reporting of program deliverables, and manages the review, analysis and interpretation of program impact results. S/he will work closely with the Ministry of Health (MoH) to provide technical assistance on oxygen supply and delivery. This position will work with different departments within MoH and engaging with different health partners. The candidate must be self-driven, adaptable, and have a high level of comfort with ambiguity. S/he must be self-assured, a fast learner, resilient, and a strong team player. CHAI places a high value on relevant personal qualities: resourcefulness, responsibility, tenacity, independence, energy, and work ethic.
The position will be based in Maseru but frequent travels to the districts will be required.
• Collaborate with global CHAI Essential Medicines team, the Ministry of Health and relevant departments, and partners to improve oxygen delivery as a common goal
• Assist in analysis of oxygen capacity and biomedical equipment need in the country in relation to potential COVID-19 needs and scale-up for broader respiratory diseases
• Lead on the development of national oxygen strategy
• Provide technical support to MoH in developing a strategic oxygen roadmap to expand access to oxygen beyond COVID-19 to cover treatment access to other SARI (Severe Acute Respiratory Infection)
• Contribute to strategy for expanded and sustainable oxygen delivery for all levels of the health system
• Ensure that the oxygen delivery commodities and essential supplies are funded for COVID-19 and other respiratory diseases
• Identify new opportunities for relevant engagement and actively troubleshoot issues as they arise
• Other relevant tasks as requested.
• Minimum of Master’s degree in Public Health, Social Science, or Business Management
• 7+ years of progressively responsible program management experience in a demanding, results-driven environment
• High degree of understanding of respiratory care, a strong plus
• Exposure to health care and/or health systems strengthening and/or experience working with government and ministries of health to achieve collaborative goals
• Exceptional problem-solving skills, entrepreneurial spirit, goal-oriented with a willingness to improve, attention to detail
• Excellent communication, strategic, and analytical capabilities, with fluent proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Strong diplomacy and interpersonal skills, with demonstrated ability to build strong professional relationships with a range of stakeholders in a challenging, multi-cultural environment while navigating complex government processes
• Experience mentoring and leading teams that can manage multiple tasks simultaneously, set priorities, and work independently at a fast pace with minimal structure
• Ability to make linkages between interventions/programs