Technical Advisor Position: Health Policy
Location: Maseru, Lesotho
Open Development is recruiting a candidate for a technical advisor position, with experience in the area of health policy to advise on health and social development challenges in Lesotho. The technical advisor position primarily will advise the Government of Lesotho to plan for and operationalize the human resources and financing needed to support the Primary Health Care (PHC) structures in line with the Essential Health Package. The position would be financed through the Millennium Challenge Corporation compact with the Government of Lesotho.
Summary of Job Description
Open Development is recruiting candidates for a technical advisor position based in Maseru, Lesotho. The Technical Advisor will provide technical guidance to the Government of Lesotho on health policy reforms with a focus on the human resources and sustainable financing required to operationalize PHC structures in line with the Essential Health Package.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Advising the Government of Lesotho and its partners on critical HR and staffing policies and strategies needed to realize its PHC goals, including the generation and use of data to define a ‘fit for purpose’ (adequate number, equitably distributed, with the right skills mix, retained and motivated) health and social workforce.
- Supporting the Government’s Human Resource for Health (HRH) Technical Working Group to engage the Public Service Commission to plan for a health and social workforce that supports the delivery of quality essential health services from the community level through District Hospitals.
- Drawing on interest-based problem solving, stakeholder engagement, change agents, and analysis/data for decision-making to support the Government of Lesotho and its partners to advance PHC reforms.
- At least ten (10) years of experience working on public sector policies, reforms and systems. Prior experience using HR data for decision making is highly desirable.
- Experience liaising across government agencies and facilitating multisectoral stakeholder engagement, including government, donors, and the private sector.
- Proven track record for providing technical assistance that resulted in meaningful policy reform or systems improvements. Experience from other countries contexts is highly desirable.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team and deliver high-quality results within deadlines. Ability to effectively set priorities and handle competing time and resource demands for self and others.
- Strong process facilitation, problem solving, and stakeholder management skills. Highly collaborative engagement style, with demonstrated ability to effectively build relationships and forge compromises. Active listener and facilitator of policy dialogue.
- Master or Doctorate degree in health policy, management or administration, or public health is highly desirable
- Must be fluent in English, including excellent communication skills.
Open Development is a women-owned, small business committed to fostering inclusive, sustainable development. We are a young and dynamic organization committed to empowering our staff and partners to address the underlying systemic barriers and incentive structures that hinder meaningful reform. We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity.
Interested candidates should submit a Resume or CV to Ilyse Stempler at [email protected], with “Health Policy – Lesotho” in the subject line.