This position is with the Global Strategic Communications Council (GSCC) – a global network of communications professionals in the field of climate, energy and nature. GSCC is a programme hosted by the Meliore Foundation.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced and highly driven person with the ambition to make a difference and play an active role in helping speed up the low carbon transition that keeps the Paris agreement goal of 1,5 Degree Celsius temperature alive.
We are recruiting a Communications Associate to support ongoing work aimed at driving political and communications work in favour of a just energy transition in Senegal. This role provides an excellent opportunity for an individual to work with a broad and diverse team of communications experts in shaping the narrative around just energy transition, clean energy, climate justice and sustainable development.
The ideal candidate would not only provide strategic communications support and guidance to a wide array of partners in the climate and energy space, but also be very steeped in media and communications with demonstrable interest in Senegalese politics, economy, and environmental governance.
The Communications Associate will spend considerable time supporting the implementation of country level strategy and facilitating media relations hence the need for strong ties with both traditional and digital media outlets.
How you’ll contribute
The Communications Associate will report to the Senegal Country Lead and will be responsible for:
- Actively upholding the values of the GSCC
- Contributing to the successful implementation of the organization’s strategic objectives for Senegal
- Facilitating linkage with journalists and media outlets covering varying angles and dimensions of climate change in Senegal
- Supporting the buildup of the Consortium of Journalists on Just Energy Transition in Francophone Africa
- Conducting social listening/media monitoring and empirical analysis of emerging trends and events within the political and development landscape of Senegal
- Providing communications support to key spokespersons, emerging voices and partners as part of the country strategy
- Identifying emerging narrative and tools for successful communication plans in partnership with other thematic and country desks within the network
- Identify new trends and technologies in the digital space and integrate them into the strategy where appropriate
- Assisting in development of content for local and international distribution across traditional and digital channels (written, video, audio content etc.)
- Participating in sector related events, conferences, and summits to deepen the organizations understanding of the country
- Build and reinforce strategic alliances with the local partners in Senegal and the francophone region.
- Assisting the Country Lead on project management and administrative duties
What you’ll bring
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience in the field of media and communications
- A thorough grasp of the context and nuance of climate, energy and environmental policies and issues in Senegal
- Proven access to local media with an established pipeline of media contacts in both traditional and digital outlets
- A creative mindset with strong written and visual communication skills with proven ability to translate concept to content for effective communications activities including campaigns for diverse audiences
- Fluency in both French and English.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a diverse team of experts across different time zones
- Outstanding organizational skills and the flexibility to effectively function in a remote team with the willingness to travel as required by the work demands
- The disposition to work generously with colleagues in a high-trust global community of peers
- The versatile and adaptable skills necessary to flourish in a fast-paced and wide-ranging work environment and work across phone/video conferencing, timezones, Slack, email, Trello, etc.
Why should you join us?
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself
- A full-time position with a consultant or employment contract for 12 months, with a possible renewal after one year (subject to funding and performance)
About Global Strategic Communications Council
A place to thrive!
We’re an international network that values genuine diversity. We know that tackling the climate emergency will need all of society and we want our network to be reflective of the richness of that society. We are looking for people who bring their best, most professional and effective selves to work. People who are respectful, kind and have a sense of fun. If that sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you.
Your ideas, perspectives, and lived experiences are key to how you go about your work. We encourage people from historically disadvantaged or underrepresented groups to apply.
This position is with the Global Strategic Communications Council (GSCC), a global network of communications professionals in the field of climate, energy and nature. GSCC is a programme hosted by the Meliore Foundation.
Through our work, we aim to contribute to a world with a safe and stable climate for current and future generations. We hope to build broad support for just, inclusive, and equitable solutions to the climate crisis.
Our philanthropically funded work focuses on media debate and public discourse at the global level and in major economies across Asia, Europe, Africa, Australia and the Americas. We support a diverse range of partners across sectors and geographies, helping them add their voices, views and insights to the conversation.
Closing date: 08 December 2023