• Respect for Diversity and Team Work • Think Africa Above all
• Transparency and Accountability • Integrity and Impartiality
• Efficiency and Professionalism • Information and Knowledge Sharing
Reports to: Head of Division, Clinical Services Directorate/Department/Organ: Medical and Health Services Division: Clinical Services Number of Direct Reports: 1 Number of Indirect Reports: 1 Job Grade: P4 Number of Positions: 1 Contract Type: Regular Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Purpose of Job
To provide comprehensive medical services for MHSD clients and members of their family, regardless of age or sex.
• Provide general medical services to staff of the Africa Union Commission, their eligible dependents and Members of the Diplomatic Corp of all Member States of the Africa Union • Provide preventive and curative services as well as health promotion to our clients, treat common illnesses and refers patients that require the services of our specialist. • Provide compound duties, i.e., oversee the running of shifts, smooth running of specialist clinics and facilitate referral/evacuation of patients when necessary. • Observe common trends of illnesses and advice Head of Clinical Division and other relevant heads of unit on necessary actions
• Provides daily routine general medical consultations, diagnosis and treatment to MHSD Clients (inpatient and outpatient) in all age groups and all sexes. • Provides emergency care for the Clients in the above category and perform minor surgical procedures in our Operating Theatre. • Performs ward rounds regularly on all admitted patients and provide input into their management. • Performs bedside procedures like abdominal ultrasonography, liver aspiration/biopsy, thoraco- and abdomino-centesis, lumbar puncture etc., where necessary. • Works on a 24-hour Medical coverage roster on a shift basis for day time, night time, weekend and public holidays as appropriate. • Participates in the management of the AU Clinic during the day and supervise shift duty staff at night, weekends and public holidays. • Maintains an up-to-date registry of specialists in other hospitals or clinics who can help resolve the patient’s specific complaint and conditions, arrange their transfer to such specialists, follow up on their management and report back to the Head of Division, Clinical Services. • Evaluates service provision for clients and make recommendations for improvement where necessary. • Participates in the AU Medical Board in determining the necessity for medical evacuations, prepares the clinical information and present same to the Medical Board for clearance. • Manages the process for evacuation, monitors the progress of the evacuees and facilitates their return. Maintains linkages with Physicians attending to evacuees, participates in key decisions made such as extension of stay, sick leave, etc. • Participates in continuing medical education programs for Medical Staff, training and mentoring of clinical attachés and Interns. • Participates in the development and delivery of health promotion, disease prevention and occupational Health and Safety programs of the Directorate (including HIV and AIDS in the workplace).
• Quantifies and forecasts requirements of medical supplies and equipment for procurement and submit on time to the supervisor. • Participates and provides expertise in the medical coverage for AU Summits, AU Field Missions and outreach to AU Regional Offices, as assigned. • Keeps abreast with developments/ innovations in emergency and Family Medicine and share such information periodically with Medical staff. • Participates in the activities of the Division including preparing SOPs, patient information and education leaflets, and fact sheets. • Provides high quality, patient centered general and specialized family Medicine Services to MHSD clients including consultations, routine and emergency care, travel medicine services, immunizations, health education, STD screenings, Vision/hearing, women’s health, family planning, prenatal services, nutrition etc. • Participates in the development and delivery of health promotion, disease prevention and occupational Health and Safety programs for the Directorate. • Performs any other duties that may be assigned by the immediate supervisor.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
• Master’s Degree, BMBCh, or MBBS degree with 10 years post qualification relevant work experience as a tertiary level, busy government or private practice or International Organization is essential which 6 years at expert/specialist level.
• Must currently be working in a clinical role and performing routine and complex Family Medicine procedures and surgeries.
• Membership/ MMED of a professional Regional College of Physicians with eight (8) years’ work experience in a senior clinical role, including at least five (5) years as a specialist/ consultant in Family Medicine. Or Fellowship of a professional Regional College of Physicians with five (5) years’ work experience in a clinical role in Family Medicine. • Must be licensed to practice medicine as Family Medicine Specialist in his/her home country or country of residence, as at the time of application. • Experience as head of a clinical unit, section, service or department will be an advantage. • Clinical specialization in Family Medicine is an asset. • Additional qualification in any of the sub specialties in General or Family Medicine will be an advantage.
• Clinical and surgical skills. • Ability to pay attention to details, meet deadlines and achieve results. • Knowledge in international and regional guidelines for managing emergency, general medical and surgical conditions. • Planning, organizational and time management skills. • Computer literacy skills: familiar with hospital Information Systems and able to use various continuous medical education tools including internet-based ones like telemedicine. • Ability to communicate scientific information as evidenced by scientific / other publications. • Familiar with conducting clinical audits. • Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times. • Interpersonal skills: ability to organize and motivate team members, and work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment. • Must be able to work effectively under pressure
Accountable and Complies with Rules…
Communicating with Influence…
Job Knowledge Sharing…
Drive for Results…
Continuous improvement orientation…
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, Kiswahili and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Indicative basic salary of US$ 42,879.00 (P4 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Applications must be submitted no later than October 16, 2023 11h59 p.m. EAT.
-Only candidates who meet all job requirements and are selected for interviews will be contacted.
-Consideration will be given only to those candidates who have submitted a fully completed online application with a curriculum vitae (CV), an African passport, and the required academic qualifications, such as diplomas, Bachelor’s degrees, Master’s degrees and any relevant certificate in line with the area of expertise.
-The African Union is an equal opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
-Candidates from less represented countries within the African Union are strongly encouraged to apply for positions that fit their profiles. These countries include Algeria, Angola, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Comoros, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Sahrawi D.R., Sao Tome and Principe., Seychelles, Somalia and Tunisia.
Selibeng.com is the premier resource for connecting passionate professionals to meaningful and exciting opportunities. Whether you are looking for your first job, a better job or just want to manage the direction of your career and explore educational opportunities, Selibeng.com offers the resources you need to make it happen.