Sonke Gender Justice (Sonke) works globally and across Africa to strengthen government, civil society and citizen capacity to take action to promote gender equality, prevent domestic and sexual violence and reduce the spread and impact of HIV and AIDS.
Sonke Gender Justice seeks to appoint a Finance Unit Manager to be based in Cape Town.
Salary: R 596 272 to R840 000 per annum
Provide strategic financial management
- Coordinate internal and external audits (organisational and funder-specific)
- Budget, forecast, as well as financial monitoring and reporting
- Manage procurement processes within the organisation
- Provide oversight and management of financial policies, operating procedures and system
- Risk management
- Provide reports and make presentations on all financial matters to management and board meetings
- Develop short, medium, and long-term financial plans and projections
- Supervision of the finance team
Strategic financial management
- Work with Sonke’s Co-Executive Director to develop, refine and guide Sonke’s strategic vision through managing internal and external processes; and providing costing for operational/project activities
- Coordinate and develop budgets based on the organisations strategic plan
- Monitor the implementation of the strategic financial objectives of the organisation and recommend appropriate investment opportunities to strengthen the organisation’s reserves to provide financial sustainability
- Take responsibility for strategic financial management and financial analysis in the organisation, to ensure quality, cost-effectiveness and accuracy of financial reporting
- Revise, amend and implement Sonke’s financial systems to ensure proper and transparent financial management in line with International Financial Reporting Standards
- Work with the Co-Executive Director to ensure that all funding contracts are rigorously managed to avoid organisational risk
- Develop and improve internal reporting processes and support programme staff in budget development
- Ensure financial policies and procedures are reviewed and updated annually, ensuring the organisation has mechanisms for the monitoring of internal controls and compliance
- Manage the cash flow of the organisation, together with all bank accounts, petty cash floats and organisational credit/debit cards, prepare/review cash flow projections on an ongoing basis and advise the Co-Executive Director and Senior Management Team on cost-saving measures across the organisation
Management of Audits
- Coordinate the external annual audit, donor-specific audits, and oversee internal audits
- Coordinate pre-audit meetings to establish expectations and requirements prior to the audit, make recommendations on findings and ensure prompt corrective action is implemented where appropriate
Management of Finance Team
- Convene weekly team meetings and monitor implementation of the unit’s work
- Conduct monthly documented supervision meetings and performance appraisals with staff members
- Manage staff development plans and other human resource matters for the Finance Unit and play a key role in building the financial management skills of the team
- Facilitate team building, team identity and strengthen working relations between staff members.
Payroll Management and adherence to statutory requirements:
- Manage the efficient administration of payroll and oversee timely processing of payments
- Ensure that Sonke is compliant with all statutory requirements and payments
Management of Assets
- Provide oversight and management of the organisation’s property and equipment including the Asset Register
- Ensure that donor reporting takes account of the provisions of all relevant funding contracts
- Ensure that monthly Income and Expenditure reports, year-to-dates, showing expenses incurred, funds available and funds needed for the remainder of the project are prepared as per the various deadlines
- A Bachelor of Commerce Degree (B. Com Honours advantageous)
- Exceptional knowledge of IFRS (International Financial Reporting Standards)
- Evidence of progressive growth with increasing responsibility and ability to take on and complete projects
- Minimum of five to eight years’ senior management experience and proven experience in managing a finance team
- Experience working with and managing strategic relationships with international donors
- Working knowledge of the King IV Report on Good Corporate Governance
- Thorough knowledge of Pastel Evolution
- Knowledge of international donor/funding requirements and the ability to monitor and ensure compliance with requirements.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
- Ability to lead, inspire and motivate team members
- Communication skills and interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical colleagues
- Proven ability to work as a team leader and as a team member within multidisciplinary teams
- Problem-solving skills, the ability to work under pressure, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Analytical and abstract reasoning skills, plus organisation skills
- Relationship building skills with an ability to establish rapport and credibility with a broad group of internal and external stakeholders
- Experience in contributing to the overall strategic planning of an organisation
- Exhibit the highest standards of excellence and integrity, and display, at all times a courteous, professional and cooperative attitude
- Fluency in English a requirement and valid driver’s license essential
To apply, submit your CV, and a motivation letter detailing experience and contact details of three referees and this one page application form https://genderjustice.org.za/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/FInance-Unit-Manager-Application.docx to Sonke’s Human Resource Unit via email to [email protected]
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For non-South Africans or permanent residents, it is the responsibility of the applicant to attain a work permit from the Department of Home Affairs; employment will depend on a valid work permit being in place.
EE candidates are encouraged to apply.
If you do not hear from us by 31 July 2019, consider your application unsuccessful.
The organisation reserves the right not to make an appointment.
For more about the Sonke Gender Justice Network, refer to www.genderjustice.org.za