Position N°: 50000530
Publication date: 23-Jul-2020
Closing date: 22-Aug-2020
Duty station: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank (AfDB) is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 81 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Vice-Presidency, Human Resources and Corporate Services (CHVP) Complex ensures the delivery of efficient, people-centered, client-oriented, corporate services to ensure overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services. The Complex leads efforts to ensure the competitiveness of the Bank as the employer of choice and is responsible for providing leadership in the formulation and implementation of Bank’s strategies on people, IT, general services and institutional procurements, language services, business continuity, and health and safety strategies.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The Corporate Information Technology Services Department’s (CHIS) mission at the Bank is to align the IT delivery strategy along with the Bank’s business strategy to increase the organizational effectiveness through efficient use of the Information Systems (IS).
Under the leadership of the African Development Bank’s (AfDB) Information Systems Director, the Information Technology Systems Department is mandated by the Bank to deliver best possible IT services for Bank Staff, and help achieve the results that gets the Bank closer to accomplishing its poverty reduction goals in Africa.
The Senior Solutions Development Engineer provides direction for technical and business resources. He/she defines and develops project management infrastructure, manages a methodology driven quality plan, monitors and controls the quality of the deliverable, as well as manages the project completion process through customer acceptance. He/she works through Program / Project managers with business unit managers to form alliances on projects.
The main objective of the assignment is to work within the IT department to analyze users’ requirements and build IT solutions related to the Bank’s business activities
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Division Manager, CHIS.1, the key duties and responsibilities of the Senior Solutions Development Engineer are:
- To lead the full systems life cycle and responsible for designing, coding, testing, implementing, maintaining and supporting application software that is delivered on time and within budget.
- To do business analysis activities in application design field.
- To Make recommendations towards the development of new code or reuse of existing code.
- To update job knowledge by studying state-of-the-art development tools, programming techniques, and computing equipment; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- To Determine operational feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development and proposed solutions.
- To prototype IT solutions.
- To participate in component and data architecture design, performance monitoring, product evaluation and buy versus build recommendations.
- To Conduct reviews of supplied specifications, with others as appropriate.
- To Document all work using required standards, methods and tools, including prototyping tools where appropriate.
- To Design large and/or complex applications and application modifications from supplied specifications using agreed standards and tools, to achieve a well-engineered result.
- To integrate applications.
- To produce requirement / system specifications.
- To coach and develop junior staff.
- To provide peer-to-peer Quality Assurance of code to development standards and requirements specifications.
- To provide guidance and assistance to colleagues in any aspect of program design, creation, testing and documentation.
- To assess and advise on new technologies trend
- To work on one or more projects as a project lead or as a project team member
- At least a Master’s / Engineering Degree in Computer Science, Software Development or related business fields.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience as a customer-facing Business Analyst within an IT organization.
- Experience in application development / programming experience.
- Experience within the industry standard System Analysis / Applications.
- Very good understanding of BI technologies and trends.
- Experience in systems analysis, design and a solid understanding of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC), quality assurance and integration methodologies.
- Deep experience and skills in data warehousing methodologies, BI technologies and tools such as SAP BW4Hana, OBIEE, MSBI.
- Good Experience in data modeling on SAP Objects, SAP BW4Hana objects, SAP Hana views, Oracle, MySQL and SQL Server Databases.
- Good Experience on ETL and Integration tools such as SAP BW4 Native ETL, SAP Data services, SAP PI, Talend, ODI and SSIS.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Knowledge of the Bank’s standard software: Excel, Word, Power Point, MS Project, Access, etc.
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct [email protected]
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.