Position N°: 50054953
Publication date: 15-May-2020
Closing date: 14-Jun-2020
Duty station: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 81 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is to deliver financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty in Africa through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas, all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Vice Presidency for ‘Agriculture, Human, and Social Development’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy High 5s priority of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”. The complex objectives are (i) to develop policy and strategy; (ii) provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pools of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions; and (iii) develop new financing instruments. The Vice President will act as the spokesperson to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and Improve Quality of Life for the People.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT/DIVISION:
The Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development Department, within the Agriculture, Human and Social Development Complex, spearheads the achievement of the High 5s on “Improving the Quality of Life of People in Africa” and contributes to the other High 5s. The Department has two divisions (i) Education, Human Capital and Employment Division, which focuses on scaling-up of Bank’s support to higher education and skills development; and (ii) Public Health, Security and Nutrition Division, which focuses on strengthening health systems, social protection and nutrition for human wellbeing.
The objectives of the Public Health, Security and Nutrition Division include the following:
1. Leads the development and promotion of Bank’s policy and strategy work so that operations, which are identified, developed and executed by the regional hubs effectively implement the Bank’s relevant sector policies and strategies;
2. Provides technical guidance/advisory services and expertise to regional hubs by generating relevant knowledge and gathering a pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide technical advice on complex transactions (communities of practices);
3. Fosters strategic partnerships with regional and global partners to leverage resources into the human capital development sectors. It also directly contributes to the work of the various initiatives and trust funds hosted under the department; and provides expertise to support the role of the Vice-President as the Bank’s spokesperson to external audiences; and
4. Ensures coherence of the Bank’s action in public health, social protection and nutrition across regions.
The Senior Nutrition and Social Protection Officer reports to the Division Manager, Public Health, Security and Nutrition Division. The Senior Nutrition and Social Protection Officer will support the Bank’s nutrition and social protection agenda through the elaboration and implementation of related policies, strategies and action plan.
Duties and responsibilities
Reporting to the Division Manager, Public Health, Security and Nutrition Division and working closely with internal and external stakeholders, the incumbent’s role includes the following:
- Promote and implement the Bank’s multisectoral nutrition agenda in coordination with relevant sectors, including but not restricted to health, education, social protection, agriculture, water and sanitation, private sector and financial inclusion. In addition, the officer will support the inclusion of social protection/inclusion in Bank’s operations.
- Support the development, management and monitoring of the Bank’s nutrition and social protection interventions.
- Work closely with the Bank’s private sector and financial inclusion departments to partner with
relevant financial and non-financial institutions for the development and financing of non-sovereign and public-private partnership operations on social protection.
- Drive new business development and resource mobilization for nutrition financing with relevant departments of the Bank as well as multilateral and bilateral financial institutions and private sector partners.
- Ensure the integration of the nutrition agenda as well as proper budgeting in relevant sectors through lending operations.
- Lead appropriate studies on the efficacy of social protection for economic transformation in Africa.
- Lead capacity building efforts of the Bank on nutrition and social protection in Africa.
- Prepare nutrition and social inclusion requests to be submitted for bilateral and trust funds.
- Support the Bank’s nutrition and social protection partnerships at global, regional and national levels.
- Enhance collaboration between the Bank and relevant partners on nutrition and social protection and support resource mobilization from multilateral/bilateral development institutions, donors and private sector institutions to complement the Bank Group’s operations.
- Represent the Bank in technical meetings on nutrition and social protection agenda.
- Follow-up on execution of decisions and recommendations made at the international level on nutrition and social protection agenda to keep the Bank up-to-date.
- Support relevant studies and capacity building interventions on nutrition and social protection.
- Prepare briefs, talking points and status reports on nutrition and social protection for Bank management and the Board of Directors.
- Fulfill any other tasks required by management.
- A minimum of a Master’s degree (or its university equivalent) in Development Economics, Development Studies, Nutrition, Social Protection or Public Health.
- A minimum of five (5) years of highly relevant professional experience in nutrition and social protection internationally and in Africa, with a deep knowledge of development issues and dynamics in Africa as well as issues on vulnerability and poverty reduction.
- Have strong understanding and grasp of multisectoral approaches of nutrition and social protection as well as nutrition and social protection management operations, partnerships in Africa, as well as professional ability to build partnerships and deliver services that meet both immediate needs and long-term interests of clients within and outside the institution.
- Innovative ability to integrate nutrition across relevant sectors.
- Have a good knowledge of vulnerability and poverty reduction projects.
- Have strong experience in project management and analytical work.
- Ability to deliver high quality work within very tight deadlines.
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of Microsoft standard software applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and SAP).
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct [email protected]
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.