Position Title: Senior Medical Assistant
Position Grade: G6 (UN Salary Scale for General Staff)
Duty Station: CO Pretoria, South Africa
Appointment Type: One Year Fixed Term Contract, with the possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 28 September 2021
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the direct supervision of the Migration Health Officer (MHO) the successful candidate will be responsible for the carrying out the following duties and responsibilities in relation to the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) in Pretoria, South Africa.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Organize and assign various duties in the Customer Care and Registration Unit as well as actively participate in day-to-day scheduling and registration.
- Develop and keep up to date MHAC’s Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s);
- Supervise and train other staff in the unit in compliance to the MHAC’s SOPs;
- Assist in analysis of various tools pertaining to migrant flow and satisfaction in MHAC – including active monitoring of scheduling trends;
- Prepare medical forms, laboratory labels, serology code books, chest x-ray labels and daily scheduling of MHD health assessments;
- Ensure that reception area is well organized and presentable at all times;
- Provide accurate information and answers to telephone and/or walk-in queries from applicants regarding their schedules and direct as required;
- Assist in improving the integrity of customer care work by proposing key fraud prevention measures;
- Receive all completed medical deferrals/furtherance, x-rays and other documents from MHD, update the reception of the same in the database and forward to the migration health physician for clearance;
- Oversee the completion of medical forms, DNA packages and other medical documents and ensure they are transmitted to relevant partners, either by electronic means or by courier services. Verify that correct contacts and physical address are used whenever documents are transmitted by courier services and ensure to inform the receiving party of the parcel tracking number electronically;
- Updating MHD information on the country MHD Website;
- Prepare and submit monthly statistics on Health Assessments performed by MHD;
- Prepare correspondence to respond to queries in respect to relevant matters of the MHAC. File incoming/outgoing letters, reports, memoranda, emails faxes as well as IOM documents and forms related to IOM medical issues;
- Support Preparation of purchase request forms for procurement of equipment and working materials for MHD;
- Data management follow-up including the creation of queries to retrieve information from the database and responding to various follow-up needs;
- Participate in mobile health assessment missions in the Region to provide IT/Database support;
- Provide Database/data processing support to MHAC Pretoria and other MHD locations in South Africa region as needs arise;
- Suggest improvements to strengthen internal control mechanisms; provide inputs for new procedures to complement and/or adapt existing instructions in an effort to achieve streamlining efficiencies;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Secondary School Diploma with at least six years of relevant working experience.
• University Degree with at least four years of relevant working experience; or,
• Experience in managing large dynamic teams, with a customer service, IT or administrative background;
• Experience in computer data entry, elaboration and analysis in a busy institution, preferably a medical one;
• Certificate in IT/Data entry;
• Typing speed of at least 60 words per minute;
• High computer literacy in Windows and MS Office is mandatory, knowledge of web page design would be an asset;
• In-depth use of MS office applications, data collection and manipulation;
• Knowledge of medical terminology, as well as previous secretarial and archival experience, an added advantage; and,
• Previous working experience with NGOs or international organizations is an added advantage.
• Fluency in English
• Working knowledge of local languages is an advantage.
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. External and internal candidates are eligible to apply for this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first- tier candidates and will be given priority over external applicants if they meet the minimum requirements.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and obtains nationality ID or valid residency/work permit.’
How to apply
If you are qualified for this position, please email the following to [email protected] under the REFERENCE: VNSA2021/11 in the subject line of your email:
a. Letter of motivation
b. Up-to-date Resume/CV
c. Copy of ID
d. IOM Personnel History form which can be downloaded from this website: https://southafrica.iom.int/vacancy
When you send your application, please specify the Vacancy reference number i.e. VNSA2021/11 on the subject line of your email. It will be challenging to track your application without the reference code provided. Incomplete applications will be rejected.
Please send your applications by Tuesday, 28 September 2021. Candidates who have already applied for this vacancy do not need to apply again. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ENQUIRIES IN RESPECT TO THE JOB DESCRIPTION AND APPLICATION MAY BE DIRECTED TO THE SAME EMAIL ADDRESS