Position N°: 50000729/50000722
Publication date: 23-Jul-2020
Closing date: 22-Aug-2020
Duty station: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 81 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Vice Presidency for Finance oversees the financial management of the Bank Group. This encompasses the Bank Group’s treasury activities including borrowings from the capital markets and investment activities; controllership functions including financial reporting and loan administration; strategic resource mobilization and the strengthening of the non-statutory financial resources and instruments; the overall asset/liability management for the Bank Group.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The Financial Control Department is responsible for accounting for the financial consequences of the Bank Group’s transactions and decisions, and for the preparation, fair presentation and overall integrity of the internal financial reports and published financial statements. The department is also responsible for loan administration and accounting and related fiduciary responsibilities, including disbursement of funds to projects and programs financed by the Bank Group. Lastly, the department provides decision support and expertise in the development and implementation of financial control policies, operational and financial strategies and related information systems.
The Senior Accounts Assistant –is responsible for:
- Ensuring timely and accurate accounting for and reporting of transactions in financial statements.
- Continuously focus on identifying opportunities for improving the timeliness, completeness and accuracy of the financial statements process using existing or new technologies.
- Ensuring effective internal control around the accounting activities by ensuring that financial transactions reported on the accounts are complete and accurately recorded in the appropriate accounting period.
- Providing decision useful financial reports to Management, Board of Directors, donors and other stake holders
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Division Manager, Senior Accounts Assistant will perform the following:
- Assist in drafting financial statements and related disclosures including management’s discussion and analysis.
- Ensure that all applicable financial reporting standards are correctly applied.
- Examine new financial products of the Bank and participate in discussions to determine the appropriate accounting treatment in line with relevant International Financial Reporting Standards.
- Verify the accuracy and reliability of base reports and records (Trial Balance, General Ledger, etc.) and ensure discrepancies, if any, are resolved.
- Ensure that information presented in tables within the notes to the financial statements are consistent with the figures in other parts of the financial statements.
- Maintain records and documents in respect of recorded entries in the General Ledger to facilitate both internal and external audits.
- Ensure inter-institution reconciliation and clearing of suspense and receivable accounts
- Examine accuracy of recording and accounting for investment transactions and identify errors or discrepancies for attention.
- Reconcile investment balances in the SAP with the balances as per SUMMIT/NUMERIX.
- Reconcile periodic investment income as recorded in SAP with investment income reported in SUMMIT/NUMERIX and any other relevant accounting system
- Reconcile and verify the computation of the maturity structure and currency composition of investments.
- Prepare details of investment activities for inclusion in financial statements.
- Participate in the evaluation and propose for implementation new controls for enhancing the quality of financial reporting.
- Ensure consistency between the English and French versions of financial statements for the Board.
- Prepare other ad-hoc financial and management reports as may be required from time to time.
- Contribute to periodic closing of accounts by ensuring outstanding payments on the accounts “payable” are settled and “receivables” accounts are cleared.
- Execute any other work as assigned by the Manager.
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Audit
- Membership of a professional Accounting board of a member country
- At least six (6) years of relevant professional experience working in the accounting and finance field preferably in an audit firm of international repute
- Applied working knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards
- Demonstrated competencies for accuracy, attention to detail, Problem-solving.
- Team working and relationship Management.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint) and knowledge of SAP Finance Module.
THIS POSITION DOES NOT ATTRACT INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS (THE POST HOLDER WILL BE CONSIDERED AS A LOCAL STAFF AND WILL NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT)
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct [email protected]
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.