SARWatch works for participatory, transparent and accountable utilisation of extractive resources in a manner that optimises transformative social and economic benefits and inter-generational equity, with sensitivity to environmental and human rights impacts.
SARWatch seeks to appoint a Programme Intern to be based in Johannesburg.
Start date: As soon as possible
Duration: 12 months
SARWatch is offering an internship opportunity for 12 months.
- Undertake primary and secondary research, and assist with project implementation as required
- Work closely with the director and researchers to assist with the implementation of SARWatch projects in SADC
- Assist with administrative tasks, working closely with the finance and admin office.
- Collect and organise materials for the Website
- Engage in media and publicity work for SARWatch, as required
- Engage in research writing, as necessary
- Assist with the development of funding proposals and with compiling project reports, as requested
- Engage in networking and raising the profile of SARWatch by participating in relevant workshops, conferences and stakeholder meetings
- Provide ad hoc assistance to the general work of SARWatch, as and when required
- Commitment to SARWatch’s values
- Passionate about social justice
- A degree in human rights or constitutional law, politics, international relations, economics, development, or a related field
- An interest in the impact of mining activities on communities
- An interest in resource revenue transparency
- Motivated to work independently and as a member of a small team, and a demonstrated ability to use initiative and to take a proactive approach to work
- Communication skills, including confidence to speak in public and with stakeholders
- English writing skills are essential. The ability to communicate in French or Portuguese is an advantage
- Relevant work experience (with good references) an advantage
- Candidates with interest or experience in human rights, environmental protection and mineral resources governance are particularly encouraged to apply
- Experience with Microsoft Office is an advantage
To apply, submit a CV and a covering letter to [email protected]
For more information on SARWatch visit www.sarwatch.org