Purpose of the Job
Reporting to the Construction and Contracts Manager, the job purpose is to assist and provide support for projects by preparing environmental feasibility terms of references, conducting studies and associated environmental and social impact assessments inclusive of mitigation plans in an efficient and effective manner to accomplish sustainability objectives of programmes as outlined in the strategic plans. Furthermore, participate in projects and policy development designed to promote high standards of environmental sustainability management and awareness for development projects and property as a whole.
Term of contract
Permanent and pensionable terms of employment.
The successful candidate will be accountable for the following functions:
- Draw up implementation and operational plans for environmental segment of projects and sustainable management and maintenance of property supporting Strategic Business Plan of the Business unit;
- Develop project and annual budgets for projects and sustainability activities in relation to property portfolio;
- Conducts preliminary and independent reviews of proposed construction and development plans for commercial and industrial projects within property portfolio of LNDC for their environmental impact, and identifying and preparing notification of relevant environmental issues;
- Conducts technical field surveys, site plan and environmental plan reviews of proposed development projects, and prepares environmental and social findings and provide environmental conditions to Construction and Contracts Manager;
- Analyses site plans, map in relation to wetlands, erosion control, steep slopes, wildlife, soils, geology, fauna, morphology, and social profiles;
- Review proposed plans and projects within property portfolio comprising land and built environment and assess their impact, and possible mitigation measures, in line with prevailing legislation, and stakeholders comprising local and statutory authorities, and service utilities;
- Readiness to respond to environmental impact emergencies and provide on the spot technical advice and expertise for safety of community and occupants of LNDC property as well as development projects;
- Keep abreast of legislative changes affecting or impacting on environmental, social and economic issues and current practices to address environmental impacts and reduce adverse environmental impacts in cost effective and efficient ways
- Confirms wetland delineations, stormwater compliances, assessment of wildlife habitats, verification of plants, palaeontology aspects;
- Perform construction site inspections to verify compliance will all environmental requirements and licences conditions and erosion controls;
- Take reasonable care for health and safe occupational conditions within property portfolio of LNDC for development projects, maintenance and utilisation by tenants;
- Supervision of consultants for environmental and social impact studies during feasibility and project implementation stages, and furthermore assist with validation of work carried out for payment;
- Investigate public complaints associated with development projects, maintenance work as well as utilisation of LNDC property by tenants.
- Monitor and enforce compliance requirements of contractors and tenants in accordance with contracts, specifications and prevailing legal framework in conjunction and consultation with statutory and local authorities;
- Delivering reports to his line supervisor on all aspects of his field. These reports may include- Weekly highlights, monthly progress reports.
- Identifying new technology in order to allow existing facilities and future developments to be optimized in terms of life cycle cost, operability, maintenance, safety and environmental impact. Supporting the review with listing prospective vendors and service providers.
- Ensuring that all activities are conducted in a safe manner and that Company HSE system is adhered to
- Visits industrial estates and commercial properties on a regular basis to assess and document maintenance requirements to the properties
- Identify required training needs assessment for environment, and safe occupational safe conditions;
- Any other duties that can be assigned from time to time.
Knowledge, skills and behavioural attributes
- Be competent in environmental and social impact assessment and associative mitigation;
- Experience in providing environmental and social impact assessment support for preparation of project appraisals, and economic feasibility of projects;
- Knowledge of environmental, health, and safe occupational and working conditions;
- Knowledge of how contracts work and different contract forms operating in Lesotho.
- Experience of use of measurement software Microsoft Office Suite of applications, Geographic Information System (GIS)
- Experience of development of review of tender documentation comprising tender conditions, conditions of contract, scope of work, and specifications for building projects;
- Participation in dispute resolution, and community engagement techniques.
- People management including mentoring, and providing basic explanation
- Presentations Skills.
- Development of environmental, social impact assessment and mitigation
- Performance Management
- Directing workflow
- Coaching and instructions
- Assisting with procurement of consultancies, contractors, and supervision of studies;
- Producing technical reports, plans and studies
- Assists in managing resources
- Assist with supervising and disciplinary processes
Qualifications and Experience
BSc in Environmental Science or similar. Driver’s Licence – Code B with 2 years driving experience.
At least 3 years’ experience.
Remuneration and Benefits
The Corporation offers a competitive remuneration package for the position.
How To Apply:
Interested, suitably qualified and experienced candidates should email their applications accompanied by educational certificates and transcripts to [email protected]. Closing date is Friday 19th March 2021 at 12 noon.
To apply, candidates MUST download and fill an application form accessible on the Corporation’s website: www.lndc.org.ls.
Enquires: [email protected] ,or (+266 2231 2012)
Disclaimer: Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. The Corporation reserves a right to appoint suitable candidates that meet application requirements. No late applications will be accepted
All applicants who had previously applied for these positions are encouraged to do reapply as the old applications will not be considered.