Risk Manager ( HRL 16 )
Sappi Tugela Mill based in Mandini requires a Risk Manager t o ensure a healthy and safe work environment, for all employees, contractors and the general public as well as strategise the approach required to achieve world class safety management practices thereby creating a highly protected risk.
The Main Responsibilities of this role are:
- Structure theTugela safety department, prepares job descriptions, ensures selection, appointment and training of personnel within the department
- Ensure that all legal appointments are in place, relevant and valid.
- Formulate and monitor the safety department objectives, company protective policies, procedures, rules and regulations as well as personnel policies.
- Appraise subordinates performance, applies disciplinary codes and investigates grievances.
- Prepare and control the Risk and safety department budget covering personnel, assets, installations, equipment, vehicles, insurance premiums and major contracts
- Strategise the overall approach and direction the Mill takes in implementing world class risk management practices.
- Ensure company compliance with statutory requirements in the risk management field (OHSAct, COID Act, National Road /Rail Act).
- Establish and plan the training needs for the Mill pertaining to risk management, fire, accident prevention, first aid, hazard assessment and root cause analysis.
- Conduct regular vulnerability surveys of company assets identifying risks that could materially affect the company’s profitability and image. Develop and implement control systems to minimise risks in conjunction, where applicable, with senior management, external consultants, brokers and international insurance surveyors
- Investigate down grading incidents including criminal offences, business interruption, fire, accidents and other reportable incidents in conjunction with the appropriate external authorities
- Maintain evaluate and interpret statistics kept on risk and safey management issues with the objective of timeously and proactively identifying corrective action to reverse negative trends and enforce positive trends.
- Prepare and distribute reports reflecting the Tugela risk and safety management status on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
- Interpret and report on legal risk compliance requirement
- Provide management with a monthly report reflecting the key performance area’s of the division in respect of the risk management performance indicators
- Conduct Risk assessment and draw up action plans.
- Formulate and maintain adequate plans and measures to ensure emergency preparedness in respect chemical releases, fire and disruption of the Company’s normal business.
- Ensure regular mock emergency and evacuation drills are conducted to test and evaluate the mills emergency preparedness.
- Co-ordinate Safety and Risk Campaigns
- Undertake compliance audits and other inspections and ensure that findings are closed out in a reasonable time
- Manage best practices and procedures pertaining to risk and safety
- Review and participate in risk assessments and incident investigations as and when applicable
- Ensure that the legal requirements (OHSAct/COID Act) are complied with in all respects and that the required registers are maintained and the necessary documentation and investigations are forwarded to the Department of Labour/RMA.
- Represent the company at external forums and meetings
- Communicate with external stakeholders on risk related issues
- Assist with risk management during construction and operations
- Maintain risk assets and equipment
- Keep up to date with draft regulations, reading and interpretation thereof, compile comments to be submitted to Government as applicable
- Initiate license amendments.
The Successful candidate should possibly have:
- National Diploma (specialist SHEQ discipline)/ Relevent
- Ideal requirement: BTech (specialist SHEQ discipline)
- 5 years in heavy industry experience
- 3 years managerial experience
Closing date for this application is 05 June 2019
How to Apply? Please click on one of the buttons below. If you encounter any issue while applying contact your HR contact .
Feel free to visit our website for further information www.sappi.com
Sappi is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Should you not have been contacted within 14 days of the closing date of this advert, please consider your application unsuccessful.