Head Office – Rosebank Johannesburg
Risk and Environmental Superintendent ( HRL 15U )
Sappi Southern Africa requires a Risk and Environmental Superintendent to proide dailly support and guidance to line management in maintaining a suitable and fully integrated multi-disciplinary risk management program that is compliant with environmental legal requirements and ISO certification requirements.
This role reports in to the Regional Environmental Manager.
The main responsibilities of this job are:
- Keeping up to date with draft regulations, reading and interpretation thereof, compiling comments to be submitted to the environmental manager for review.
- Undertakes compliance audits and inspections at each mill as required and identifies areas of improvement.
- Fulfils an advisory role to the mill by monitoring of the Exclaim legal system and mill adherence to the environmental legal requirements.
- Reviewing the effectiveness of the controls and reports findings to the relevant environmental personnel and Environmental Manager.
- Creating awareness relating to risk and environmental legislation including aspects such as ISO, Legal, environmental management, risk awareness campaigns, etc.
- Review necessary application and specialist reports and providing input to consultants for finalisation pertaining to Environmental Impact Assessments.
- Input into best practices and procedures pertaining to risk.
- Facilitate risk assessments and incident investigations at the mills and RHO as and when applicable.
- Receives, consolidates and reports to the VP: Manufacturing and Technical on environmental performance at the mills on a weekly basis.
- Handling of environmental complaints by investigating, reporting and logging on SAP at Regional Head Office as and when received.
- Represents Sappi at external meetings by attending and providing input/feedback to Sappi business units on any issues or concerns raised within these meetings.
- Driving of selected environmental / CSI projects.
- Input on the RHO contractor environmental management process on issues pertaining to risk.
Audits and reporting
- Monthly and quarterly reporting pertaining to compliance and risk which is reviewed by the environmental manager for submission to senior management.
- Conducts and participates in the ISO audit programmes as a Sappi ISO14001 internal auditor and submits to team leader for consolidation as a preparedness review for external certification.
- Assisting with sustainability, E4 and environmental reporting by checking and reviewing data and formulas for accuracy before submitting to the Environmental manager.
- Analysing and reviewing GHG data that is required to be submitted to government and checking for alignment between government requirements and Sappi systems.
- Review and provide input with the formal variation application to the mills pertaining to licence amendments.
- Keeping Sappi’s risk heat map up to date and relevant, by reviewing and consolidating the mill risks. This report is reviewed quarterly by the CEO at the RRMC meeting.
- Stats and trend evaluation based on information received from any external suppliers and submitting these findings the Environmental manager.
- Conducts cost reporting verification and will resolve any issues and update the environmental manager on progress.
- Obtaining and sending quotations, evaluations and recommendations to procurement for services and equipment.
- Preparing training content and facilitating training sessions as and when required.
The ideal candidate should have:
- National Diploma (specialist SHEQ discipline)
- Ideal requirement: BTech (specialist SHEQ discipline)
- 3 years related or industrial experience
Closing date: 24 October 2019
How to Apply? Please click on one of the buttons below. If you encounter any issue while applying contact your HR contact .
Feel free to visit our website for further information www.sappi.com
Sappi is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Should you not have been contacted within 14 days of the closing date of this advert, please consider your application unsuccessful.