Liqhobong Mining Development Company (Pty) Ltd, a subsidiary of Firestone Diamonds PLC, invites suitably qualified and competent Basotho to apply for the vacant position of Rigger Assistant.
To routinely assess the condition, safety and efficiency of tools, machinery and equipment with the aim of maximizing production and minimizing plant downtime. Specifically, the incumbent will assist the Rigger for setting up lifting and moving of extremely large or heavy objects by operating machines that move the objects e.g. steel plates, bundles of steel rods, drilling towers, and platforms, and other heavy plant and construction equipment.
Under the direct supervision of the Rigger, the incumbent will carry out the following duties and responsibilities;
- Assist to ensure that pulleys and blocks are properly attached to beams, ceilings and pole booms;
- Assist to ensure that the right amount sized bolts and clamps are used for each attachment;
- Assist to assemble and dismantle rigging equipment at the end of each shift;
- Assist to perform fabrication and repairing of structures using defined rigging machinery;
- Manipulate rigging lines and hoists in order to control attached heavy equipment;
- Assist to ensure that the selected cables, pulleys and winches are in accordance to the weight of the equipment that needs to be hoisted or moved;
- Test and set-up rigging for safety and maneuverability before each movement;
- Ensure compliance to safe rigging practices at every step of the rigging process;
- Perform cleanliness and maintenance duties on rigging equipment and tools;
- Ensure that all rigging gear is stored in a proper manner and is ready for the next shift;
- Perform daily inspections in accordance with the SHE standards;
- Ensure compliance and adherence to SHE policies, programmes, practices, safety standards and regulations;
Legal and other requirements
- Police clearance and medical examinationsof fitness;
- Valid driver’s license;
- Free from vertigo and not colour blind
Qualifications and experience
- 2 years’ experience as a Rigger Assistant in a plant, construction or manufacturing environment;
- A relevant rigging courses from recognized / accredited institutions;
- Knowledge of rigging standards and procedures;
- Knowledge of equipment selection and application of basic lifting techniques;
- Use of machine and tools including their design, repair and maintenance.
Skills and competencies
- Time management;
- Optimal use of materials and spares;
- Sound technical trouble shooting/ fault finding skills;
- Proficiency in English;
- Quality control and plant equipment maintenance;
- Hand-eye coordination skills
- Consistent with agreed principles of correct moral conduct
- Ability to take direction but exercise independent thought and judgment.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and relationships within a fast-paced, team-oriented and lean environment.
Application letters including a detailed CV and certified copies of relevant qualifications should be submitted to:
Letsie Office Park – Pension House
email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for submission of applications is Friday 24th August 2018 Disclaimer: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted