Identify and underwrite profitable accounts within underwriting limits under general direction of PCM. Maintain and grow relationships with cedants and RI brokers. Work with Distribution to grow the Southern Africa RI assumed portfolio. Manage assigned accounts, ensuring efficient document workflow in line with operational procedures.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Underwrite business within underwriting authority through a rigorous risk assessment process which includes consideration of loss control, claims history and all other appropriate risk management factors
- Play an active role in the development and negotiation and sign off of large programs by motivating limits and policy structures where referral is required.
- Ensure adherence with all underwriting guidelines and referrals
- Interpret legal agreements and policies
- Manage allocated portfolio accounts in profitable and sustainable growth, constantly assessing overall performance of the portfolio and make recommendations for adjustments to the Profit Centre Manager as needed.
- Provide accurate estimates and reports as required
Business Development and Retention
- Keep abreast of market changes and trends in Sub Saharan Africa
- Proactively engage with BMC’s to provide technical support for Branch business development initiatives
- Seek opportunities to improve synergies and participate in cross-sell initiatives with other profit Centres
- Develop and maintain strong personal and professional relationships with Cendants and RI brokers
- Represent AIG on industry bodies and professional associations and organizations
- Adhere to internal SLA’s to ensure operational efficiency and achievement of agreed customer service standards
- Manage all expenses within budget. Continuously work to reduce the expense ratio through constant attention to efficiencies and opportunities to maximize productivity through streamlining of processes
Audit and Compliance
- Ensure adherence to audit requirements
- Ensure adherence to regulatory and compliance requirements
- Graduate level degree in business, economics, insurance or marketing.
- Insurance qualification
- FAIS compliant
- > 5 commercial short term insurance underwriting experience, including at least 3 years in Liability line of business
COMPETENCIES / LEVELS
AIG Core Competencies:
- Dealing with Ambiguity
- Customer Focus
- Drive for Results
- Presentation Skills
- Innovation Management
- Business Acumen
- Problem Solving
- Risk Analysis and Pricing
- Interpretation of legal agreements
- Policies for Regulations
- Portfolio Management
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission – creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.
Preference will be given to previously disadvantaged candidates in line with the company’s Employment Equity Plan. Specific preference will be given to people with disabilities.
SM – Sales & Marketing
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): No Travel
Relocation Provided: No
AIG South Africa