Forestry – Research Centre Tweedie
Research Officer 1 – Tree Breeding ( HRL 15 )
Sappi Southern Africa – Forests requires a Research Officer :Tree Breeding t o ensure that all tree breeding projects, research work and tree breeding activities is effectively managed in the Zululand region
This role reports in to the Programme Leader.
The main responsibilities of this job are:
- Prepare experimental plans
- Determine & design the type of trial or experiment
- Allocate resources and produce material for experiment
- Implement experiments
- File and archive experiment records
- Input, extract and ensure that databases are updated
- Extract, analyze & interpret data in order to report on results.
- Stay abreast of current Research methodology in order to ensure best practice in specialist fields
- Prepare and participate in field days, conferences, research reviews & other related forums
- Make presentations & provide regular feedback to internal and external stakeholders
- Interact frequently with Nursery staff to transfer research recommendations to operations
- Plan and implement nursery training in the areas of plant quality, best operating practices and propagation technology changes
- Manage all field trials and tree breeding activities in the region to a high standard
- Manage consumables, equipment, infrastructure and facilities to ensure effective operation at all times
- Liaise with nurseries and other research programmes to ensure successful execution of projects.
- Liaise timeously with contractors/foresters/service providers to ensure good trial maintenance
- Implement, monitor and manage tree breeding trials in the region
- Lead and performance manage subordinates to attain objectives
- Manage staff personal development plans and ensure competency gaps are closed
- Provide coaching support to subordinates in order to facilitate realistic career paths
- Build effective teams and manage employee relations
- Effectively managing one’s time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently
- Ensure staff comply with safety procedures
- Participate in SHEQ committee
- Ensure that staff comply with legislative and company policies and procedures
- Ensure that resources are managed effectively within budget constraints
- Responsible for safety of staff and other stakeholders
The ideal candidate should have:
- B-Tech in Forestry
- Bachelors Degree in Breeding or Genetics
- An Honours Degree will be an advantage
- UP to 2 years’ experience in nursery plant production / research
- Driver’s license
Closing Date: 23rd October 2019
How to Apply? Please click on one of the buttons below. If you encounter any issue while applying contact your HR contact .
Feel free to visit our website for further information www.sappi.com
Sappi is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Should you not have been contacted within 14 days of the closing date of this advert, please consider your application unsuccessful.