Baylor College of Medicine Children’s Foundation – Lesotho. The Baylor College of Medicine Children’s Foundation – Lesotho (BCMCFL), is the result of a public-private partnership between Baylor College of Medicine International Pediatric AIDS Initiative and the Government of Lesotho, and is a legal, non-profit/tax exempt organization registered in Lesotho. BCMCFL provides free paediatric and family-centered HIV and tuberculosis prevention, care, treatment and support, serving thousands of children and families affected by HIV, TB, or other child health conditions.
BCMCFL is looking for highly qualified candidates to fill in the following positions related to upcoming research implementation over the next 2 years in Maseru.
Position: Research Laboratory Coordinator
Duties and Responsibilities
The TB Laboratory Coordinator will be responsible for supporting study activities, coordination of research activities and liaising with the Lesotho National Reference Laboratory; ensure the study operates under compliance with national regulations; and complete related work as assigned. Working conditions include potential exposure to body fluids, disease organisms and hazardous materials.
Under supervision of the TB Laboratory Manager and Baylor Lesotho Site PI, he/she will:
- Perform and or supervise point of care testing and sample collection at BCMCFL Maseru including equipment monitoring. This is inclusive but not limited to:
- CRP, LF-LAM and COVID-19 Antigen
- Nasal swab and phlebotomy
- Coordinate with NRL team to appropriately document and record study laboratory results
- Train NRL staff on study standard operating procedures (SOPs) and ensure adherence
- Ensure organization, proper labeling, transport, storage and tracking of research specimens
- Support organization of supplies, inventory and reagents and work alongside the NRL team to ensure there is adequate supply for study implementation
- Development of lab flow plans for the study
- Participates in the revision of lab SOPs
Educational Qualifications, Work Experience and Key Competencies
- Prior laboratory based research experience
- Be in possession of a three-year Diploma in Medical Laboratory Sciences.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite software applications (word and excel) and Internet.
- Fluency in English and Sesotho with strong report writing and oral presentation skills. .
- Excellent laboratory technique with superb attention to detail
- Ability to work as a highly cooperative member of a team
- Ability to function with mature judgment, tact, and diplomacy, ensuring the NRL and Baylor Lesotho procedures are adhered to
- Maintenance of strict confidentiality and professional etiquette to sensitive client information
- Minimum of 1 year clinical lab experience with GeneX for TB and HIV, prior experience in serology and hematology beneficial
- Able to instruct lab staff on development of research ideas and protocols a benefit
Highly qualified Citizens and Residents of Lesotho are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to apply: Interested candidates who meet the criteria must email applications letters including CVs, certified copies of identity documents, qualifications and three work-related referees with contact details (one should be from current supervisor/employer).
All applications must be emailed to [email protected] on or before Friday, 1 July 2022. Clearly indicate the name of the post applied for on the subject Line. Applications to be done through email provided only. No hard copies will be accepted. Late applications will not be considered. Failure to comply with the above directions will results in the application being disqualified.
BCMCFL reserves the right to leave an advertised position unfilled if no suitable candidate is identified. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.