Forestry – Research Centre Tweedie
Programme Leader : Tree Breeding ( HRL 19 )
Sappi Southern Africa requires a Programme Leader : Tree Breeding to manage Sappi’s Tree Breeding Programme by providing strategic direction, manage resources and develop new genotypes suited to Sappi’s current and future requirements. In developing new genotypes, the focus is on three broad themes: sustainability (pest & diseases; climate change, environmental challenges – frost, snow, drought), productivity (more fibre for Sappi’s mills) & value addition (additional wood quality traits that will enhance Sappi’s long-term bio-refinery objectives).
This role reports to the General Manager – Research
The main responsibilities of this job are:
- Manage the Tree Breeding Programme
- Provide Strategic direction and align the programme to Sappi’s objectives
- Develop and maintain an agile Breeding Strategy in a dynamic environment
- Develop and maintain Strategic collaborations with institutions, universities and working groups to achieve programme objectives
- Develop and maintain breeding capacity and allocate resources to meet requirements
- Determine and design the direction and scope of breeding projects with breeding teams
- Interact with customers, stakeholders and scientists across relevant disciplines to achieve objectives
- Stay abreast of current Research methodology to ensure best practice in specialist fields – breeding, molecular genetics and phenotyping technologies
- Collate, extract, analyze and interpret results to redirect and meet breeding objectives
- Responsible for and custodian of programme genetic resources and data
- Prepare and participate in field days, conferences, research reviews and other related forums
- Make presentations and provide regular feedback to internal and external stakeholders
- Manage staff personal development plans and provide coaching support to subordinates
- Ensure that staff comply with legislative, company policies and safety procedures
The ideal candidate should have:
- A MSc degree in Plant Breeding / Genetics or equivalent discipline
- A PhD degree will be an advantage
- Minimum of 8 years’ relevant experience
- Experience / qualifications in molecular genetics / genomics will be an advantage
CLOSING DATE: 16th July 2019
How to Apply? Please click on one of the buttons below. If you encounter any issue while applying contact your HR contact .
Feel free to visit our website for further information www.sappi.com
Sappi is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Should you not have been contacted within 14 days of the closing date of this advert, please consider your application unsuccessful.