TITLE: Professional Nurse
DEPARTMENT: Programs – Makoanyane Integrated HIV services
Location: Makoanyane Military Health facilities
SUMMARY: DOD-LDF COMPREHENSIVE HIV SERVICES
DOD with its key partner PSI scaled up HIV & AIDS programme in LDF from prevention to comprehensive HIV & AIDS care programme, by including care and treatment, PMTCT, Cervical Cancer screening and Men’s clinic services.
The project started in a smaller scale in 2005 with design and implementation of HIV prevention programs which focused primarily on trainings to military personnel in HIV prevention and HIV testing and reinforcing the capacity to increase uptake of HIV counseling and testing services, until 2012 when Voluntary male circumcision (VMMC) services which are fully integrated in the services provided at Thomas Wellness Centre in Makoanyane was launched.
The professional nurses will work as part of the clinical team providing HIV care and treatment services i.e. history taking, checking Client’s basic parameters, blood draw, prescribing medications to chronic diseases patients and refer complicated cases to the doctor. The professional nurse will perform cervical cancer screening to eligible women and provide male
friendly services to military men and their beneficiaries. She/he will provide health education, TB screening services and triage patients who came for consultations at the Makoanyane Military Hospital. Provide high quality Voluntary medical male circumcision VMMC services to eligible
clients, provides all services as integrated services within Thomas Wellness Centre.
The position is based at Makoanyane and reports to HIV Senior Mentor.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Supervises the nursing assistant and student nurses working in the Military facilities.
• Triage patients who visited the facilities for consultations
• Provide health education to the patients.
• Perform TB screening to all patients visiting the facilities for health care services
• History taking of the patients /clients and find out if they have any current problems which may need attention.
• Prescribe medications for chronic patients on check -ups and refer complicated cases to the doctor
• Checking of basic parameters e.g. Blood pressure (BP), check Mid Upper Arm Circumference (MUAC, body weight and height and calculate the body mass index (BMI) Check the temperature.
• Provide services to ART clients, PMTCT clients, TB clients and Under Five Clients and address their HIV care needs accordingly i.e. draw blood samples for DNA PCR in 6 weeks’ children, viral load and CD4 in adults according to the guidelines.
• Provide Cervical cancer screening to eligible women
• Reinforces the adherence counselling before she/he dispenses the ARVs to ART clients.
• Provides the services according to the Lesotho National Guidelines and standard operating procedures (SOPs).
• Treat every client as a person or individual; that is, addresses the patients individual needs.
• Take orders from the Medical Doctor to assist in patient’s care.
• Be familiar with QA compliance objectives and ensuring that SOP standards are met in daily clinic service delivery.
• Participate in quality assurance and improvement procedures
• Work according to SOPs, guidelines and policies.
• Ensure validity of data in the client files and registers.
EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
• Diploma in nursing, with minimum of 3 -4 years nursing experience especially in the clinics.
• Degree in Nursing with minimum of 2 years nursing experience especially in the clinics.
• Trained on VMMC by the recognized body or institution
• Be a valid member of the Lesotho Nursing Council and possesses a licensure to practice as a nurse in Lesotho
• Ability to work according to PSI Lesotho Prime competencies
• Ability to work independently and as a team member.
• Be knowledgeable of Nursing ethics and etiquette.
• Understanding of reproductive health issues, especially HIV/AIDS
• Demonstrated ability to work sensitively and compassionately with a diverse range of clients, including Military, other uniformed personnel and their families.
• Fluency in English and local language
• Computer literacy preferred
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates should hand deliver cover letter, resume/curricula vitae (CV), list of 3-5 professional references (with contact information, supervisory references preferred), and certified copies of all academic degrees to the Human Resource Manager, PSI Lesotho, 138 Moshoeshoe Road, Industrial Area, Maseru, P.O Box 15863. While all application submissions will be reviewed and considered, only the most qualified candidates will be contacted for interviews.
The application submission deadline is 12:00 p.m. local time on Friday, 13
th November 2020.
Please note that late applications will not be considered.