FULL TIME, REMOTE
We’re looking for talented individuals interested in joining a new and growing global company. At Slang, you’ll be an early team member of a well-funded startup spun out from MIT. We’re building a world-class team to revolutionize language learning with cutting-edge technology and beautiful design.
What we’re working on at Slang:
Slang started at MIT as a research project on using AI and NLP to make learning a new language as efficient as possible. Our technology powers a highly adaptive e-learning platform that offers an unprecedented variety of specialized English courses and proficiency tests for career development in over fifty fields like Sales, Finance, Logistics, Medicine, and Law. With just a small team, we’ve already created the largest professional English offering in the world. Now, we’re scaling up to release 1,000 more courses over the next three years.
What this role is about:
In this role, you’ll be involved in the experience and visual design of new product features across our web and mobile applications. You’ll be our first full-time designer, handling both UI and UX design and maintaining our visual brand across everything from our applications to our print materials. We have tens of thousands of active users and many subproblems in language learning to tackle.
We have a diverse set of users, including learners who use Slang’s web and mobile apps to learn a language, managers who use the Slang management app to help their employees or students succeed, and internal Slang employees who use the Slang administrative app to build content and manage clients. Each of these applications has unique requirements around simplicity and data density, and each presents interesting design opportunities.
As a company, we have a strong appreciation for aesthetics and the impact of visual design on user experience.
Some interesting problems we’re tackling:
- How can we design the learning experience to communicate the power of the advanced data-science deciding the particular sequence of activities a user sees while maintaining simplicity and intuitiveness?
- How can we communicate language-learning progress to our users? How can we aggregate and communicate the learning statistics of a company’s employees for display to their managers?
- How can we design the data-dense internal interfaces used for content development for maximum throughput?
Skills and technologies:
- Two or more years of experience in product design with a strong portfolio including mobile work and experience with any modern design tool (e.g. Sketch or Figma).
- Good aesthetic values, an appreciation for consistency, and an eye for detail.
- Excellent discipline and focus, especially in autonomous environments, and strong English communication skills. We’re a small team and we’re moving quick!
- A plus: interest or experience with illustration, animation, motion design, interaction design, print design, branding, or educational applications.
What Slang can offer you:
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, company equity, and unique benefits.
Most importantly, we offer the special experience of being part of a fast-moving and quickly growing international company within the entrepreneurial ecosystems of Boston and MIT.
For more information about Slang and our ecosystem, check out our El Tiempo interview from our beta launch; the portfolio of Social Capital, our lead investor and investor in companies like Slack and Intercom; our Crunchbase profile; and the profiles of our founders, Diego Villegas and Kamran Khan.
Where we’re located:
Our team is currently split between Boston and Bogotá, and we are recruiting great people in these locations and around the world who are able to work remotely. This role provides an opportunity to travel to our current offices in Boston and Bogotá and the new offices we’ll be opening this year!
Our US headquarters is located in the Cambridge Innovation Center in the heart of downtown Boston, easily accessible by public transportation and alongside other innovative companies. Our Colombia office is located in the Rosales neighborhood of Bogotá.