Position N°: 50069084
Publication date: 11-Oct-2019
Closing date: 30-Oct-2019
Duty station: Abidjan, Cote D’ivoire
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Economic Governance and Knowledge Management Complex (ECVP) mission is to generate, promote, and disseminate high-quality economic policy-oriented research to strengthen AfDB policy advice, technical assistance, and lending—and to improve governance, capacity, and policymaking for improving lives in Africa. Its role is to encourage and support learning by all development stakeholders, ensure that the best and most up-to-date knowledge from economic and other social sciences is continually available, customized, owned, and used effectively in all AfDB operations and in the development policies of African countries
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT/DIVISION:
The Statistics Directorate is responsible for the Bank’s statistical activities that focus on two main components: (i) Providing support for effective development of statistical capacity and systems in African countries for the provision of timely and reliable data to support development results measurement for the High 5s and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) agenda across Africa; and (ii) Mainstreaming results measurement in Bank operations to ensure their operational effectiveness as well as to support the Bank’s research, policy and financial services.As part of the Statistics Department, the Statistical capacity building Division ensures that national statistics offices in regional member countries (RMCs) and regional economic communities have adequate statistical capacity to provide timely and reliable data that meet internationally agreed quality standards. Its principal activities are to: manage, coordinate and implement statistical programs in key areas related to data strategies and economic, social and environment development. Emphasis is placed on enhancing the statistical infrastructures, streamlining and updating the methodological systems, and improving staff capabilities through training and other technical assistance means, including partnership with African statistical training centers.
The purpose of this position is to enhance capacities in RMCs and RECs in development of strategies for development of statistics to support statistical production and dissemination for evidence-based policy-making and to support monitoring and evaluation in the RMCs. The strategic processes to be supported relate to all categories of official statistics.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Division Manager, the Principal Statistician will:
- Supervise the design and implementation of national Strategies for the development of Statistics in the region
- Support the design and implementation of regional strategies for the development of statistics
- Receive and handle requests for technical assistance support from RMCs
- Recruit and supervise consultants that support NSDS and RSDS development
- Secure buy-in from the RMCs to ensure that they develop their NSDSs and implement them
- Strategically engage NSOs in RMCs to assess their statistical capacity building needs
- Support the coordination of training workshops on leadership and management and other areas of interest
- Support the coordination of RMC peer learning on various statistical areas handled by the department
- Coordinate with Statistical Training centres to build statistical capacity in National statistical systems
- Explore potential partnerships for statistical capacity building and exploit them to the advantage of the Bank
- Support requests from RMCs for strengthening national monitoring and evaluation systems
- Work with country teams to contribute to the development of country strategy papers, country diagnostic notes and incorporating M&E issues in program and project cycles
- Participate in teams for handling common departmental assignments
- Represent the Bank at international and regional meetings on statistics as will be directed by ECST management
- Any other cross cutting issues in the Division
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Statistics, Economics and/or other related quantitative fields;
- Hold a minimum of 6 years of relevant working experience
- Solid experience in strategy design and development
- Proven experience in designing sectoral strategies for the development of statistics at national level
- Client and results oriented individual holding “a can-do attitude” ;
- Effective consulting and advisory skills that enable clients and help them build their confidence and skills to deal with HR issues;
- Ability to deal with sensitive issues in a multi-cultural environment and to build effective working relations with colleagues;
- Ability to work independently with little supervision as well as part of a multicultural team;
- Ability to drive change;
- Ability to be flexible, open minded with integrity;
- Communication, Problem Solving, Client Orientation and Team working and relations;
- Broadly skilled in information and communications technology
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language.
ABIDJAN, COTE D’IVOIRE
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct [email protected]
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.