Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 81 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
The Economic Governance and Knowledge Management (ECVP Complex) core objective is to give greater visibility and prominence to knowledge, its dissemination and management. This is done through the (i) generation of access to operationally relevant, multi-sector research on African development issues; (ii) the narrowing of the data statistics gap in Africa by improving the availability, quality and coverage of statistics, for policy formulation, implementation, evaluation and effective monitoring of progress and contributing to the development of cooperation statistics in Africa. ECVP is also the focal point for capacity development and provision of training with a clear focus on those areas most relevant to ensuring economic growth and efficient implementation of Bank-financed projects and enhancing their impact.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The Governance and Public Financial Management Coordination Office (ECGF) is in the complex of the Chief Economist / Vice Presidency for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management (ECVP), based at the Headquarters in Abidjan, and is responsible for coordination and operationalization of the Bank’s Governance policy, strategy and programs, including lending and non-lending work. ECGF works in collaboration with the other complex’s and departments of the Bank towards ensuring (i) that the Bank’s substantive technical engagement with key policy and strategy processes in the area of governance and public financial management are properly coordinated; and (ii) that the Bank’s interventions in Regional Member Countries, through program-based operations/ budget support and institutional strengthening projects promote effective and accountable governance and public financial management
The Principal Anti-Corruption Governance Officer (PL-4) will be responsible for providing specialist advice and inputs to the Bank Group’s work on combatting corruption in particular through review of technical design and institutional arrangements for governance projects/programs proposed for Bank’s funding and assessing their feasibility from the perspective of present and future impact. He/She will also contribute to the development of knowledge, forging partnerships and strengthening initiatives in the area of governance and combatting corruption in particular.
In addition, the Principal Anti-Corruption Governance Officer will be expected to contribute to the origination, processing, supervision and general portfolio management of governance sector operations. These operations include budget support operations and institutional support projects, as well as targeted diagnostic works with a focus on building effective institutions that promote equity, transparency and accountability in the management of public resources. He/She will also contribute to conducting country level policy dialogue on key governance issues.
The work accomplished will contribute to realization of the Bank’s governance work programme as it relates to the implementation of the Bank’s High Fives priorities: Feed Africa; Light-up Africa; Industrialize Africa; Integrate Africa; and Improve the Lives of the people of Africa and the Strategy for Economic Governance in Africa..
Under the supervision and guidance of the Director of Governance and PFM Coordination Office the Principal Anti-Corruption Governance Officer will:
- Provide thought leadership, technical advisory and project management support on governance and anti-corruption
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the Bank’s work program on anti-corruption as outlined in the Governance Strategy and other corporate documents
- Engage in policy reform dialogue with Government officials and development partners on governance and anti-corruption policy and reforms.
- Lead/support Bank teams in the preparation and implementation of program-based operations and institutional support projects in support of governance and anti-corruption reforms at the country and regional levels.
- Contribute to the development of innovative training tools and case studies for training on anti-corruption.
- Support the Bank’s broader efforts to enhance measures to combat fraud and corruption through advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building around governance and anti-corruption
- Support the AfDB’s efforts to strengthen efforts to combat corruption and to place it on the agenda of the RMCs, sub-regional bodies, the African Union and at the international level.
- Collaborate in multilateral efforts to mitigate the risks of fraud or corruption in development activities.
- Contribute to reporting on anti-corruption programming for the Annual Report, ADF and other relevant reports.
- Assist in the mainstreaming of anti-corruption in bank policy and strategy documents and work program.
- Coordinate with other development partners, engage in relevant networks and act as focal person for engagements in the area of governance and anti-corruption.
- Support resource mobilization efforts for anti-corruption work through the preparation of concept notes, proposals and other relevant documents.
- Any other work as may be relevant to advance the Bank’s Governance agenda in general and the anti-corruption work programme in particular.
COMPETENCIES (skills, experience and knowledge):
- Hold at least a Masters Degree in Law, Public Policy, Economics, Public Administration, or other related discipline relevant to governance and economic management reforms.
- Minimum 6 years of progressive professional experience in the field of governance and anti-corruption, preferably with an international organization or government institution, or an NGO, or with a law enforcement agency-
- Proven track record of managing and delivering programs (including institutional support projects and budget support operations) and providing technical advice in support of combatting corruption.
- Demonstrated knowledge and in-depth understanding of governance and the effective policies and measures for combatting corruption, particularly in Africa.
- Experience in conducting effective policy dialogue and building partnerships with stakeholders on governance and anti-corruption themes
- Ability to conduct policy research and carry out diagnostics on governance themes, and translate these into policy briefs, reports, or other knowledge products.
- Ability to apply innovative approaches, work independently and apply new methods to solve problems.
- Proven sense of initiative, results orientation, teamwork and leadership qualities, and ability to work effectively across sectors in a multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities in a fast-paced environment.
- Familiarity with operational policies and programming practices of multilateral organisations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications and Knowledge of SAP highly desirable.
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.