- Opportunity to work for global company
- Our culture is inclusive, exciting and performance-driven
- Role based in Richards Bay
About the role
We are looking for a Principal Advisor: Community Development & Projects to lead a small team dedicated to RBM’s work to help build strong host communities with a strong focus on delivering commitments under the SA Mining Charter and other relevant legislation and coordinating RBM’s Social & Labour Plans (SLPs) and other projects agreed to on a local and regional basis.
Reporting to the Manager: Communities & Stakeholder Engagement, you will:
- Maintain overall accountability for the SLP process, coordinating across departments as required. This includes the development of the multi-year plans through understanding the priority needs of the communities & developing appropriate project lists, the Provincial Government approval process and monitoring the implementation of activity under the approved plans.
- Lead strong collaboration across RBM, particularly with Procurement, HR, Office of the MD and those departments responsible for managing the construction of SLP projects.
- Within the Community Relations (CR) team, highly collaborative approach to engaging with external stakeholders as part of the projects process to ensure an integrated approach to the engagements required especially with the Communities and Social Performance (CSP) team.
- (Aligned with point above) lead engagement with relevant Government agencies and especially Department of Mining, Resources and Energy (DMRE) to ensure compliance with SLPs and other legislation and ensure risk to uninterrupted operations is carefully controlled.
- Maintain a regular process for identifying, assessing and controlling risks relating to SLPs and the Community Recruitment Office (CRO) and ensuring they are reflected in RBM’s wider risk management approach.
- Ensure all activities are aligned with both RBM and Rio Tinto Group policies, Standards and approaches, including The Way We Work(TWWW)
To be successfully considered for this role, you will have:
- Degree in Development studies and Social Sciences.
- Post Grad will be an added advantage.
- At least 5 Years dealing with SLP reporting and implementation.
- 5+ years with experience in complex stakeholder environments with a focus on community development and relevant project delivery; demonstrable leadership and collaborative approach
- Drivers License
What we offer
Here is just a glimpse of our industry leading rewards package:
- A safety-focused and inclusive working environment
- A competitive base salary reflective of your skills and experience
- Annual cash incentive awards (STIP) for eligible employees
- Career development & education assistance to further your ambitions
- Access top tier family-friendly health and medical programs, pension and savings plans
- Wellbeing benefits
- Generous Rio Tinto employee share program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Ongoing individual wellbeing support for you and your family for personal and professional matter
- A comprehensive leave policy that covers all moments that matter in life (vacation/annual, paid parental, etc.)
Where you will be working
Certified as a Top Employer for 4 consecutive years, located in the Kwa-Zulu Natal province, Richards Bay Minerals (RBM) is part of the Rio Tinto Group and is an internationally recognized sand mining and mineral processing operations leader and one of the world’s foremost producers of titanium minerals, high purity pig iron and zircon. We have implemented a sound corporate social development program and an internationally recognized environmental rehabilitation program to restore the mined dunes to their natural state once mining operations have ceased.
As pioneers in mining and metals, we produce materials essential to human progress.
Our long history is filled with firsts. We’ve developed some of the world’s largest and best quality mines and operations, and our people work in around 35 countries across six continents. Aluminium and copper, diamonds, gold and industrial minerals, iron ore and uranium: our materials make up the world around us. You’ll find them in smartphones, planes, cars, hospitals and throughout your home.
Every Voice Matters
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
Apply today if you want to work with the latest technology and innovation, in an environment where we challenge you to drive positive change. Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.
RBM is an equal opportunity employer and preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups in line with the company’s employment equity plan.