The Philani Maternal, Child Health and Nutrition Project has been addressing maternal and child health problems in the informal settlements surrounding Cape Town since 1979. Philani’s mandate is sustainable community health, and, over the years, the organisation has developed programmes to meet the needs of the communities it serves. As an organisation Philani aims to improve health outcomes by combining its skills and resources with the knowledge and resources that exist in the community. Philani’s programmes promote family health, focusing on the support of pregnant mothers, prevention of child malnutrition and the rehabilitation of underweight children. The organisation is committed to limiting the suffering of families infected and affected by HIV and preventing the spread of the virus.
Philani seeks to appoint a mature Female Nursing Sister, based in Khayelitsha, Cape Town.
- Visit mothers-to-be, malnourished children and home based care cases that need extra support
- Assess client needs, ensure that interventions are carried out correctly, give appropriate medical advice and make referrals when necessary
- Provide assistance on complicated social cases
- Mediate any conflict within the programme and hold all Assistant Coordinators and MMs accountable
- Identify training needs and assist with programme training
- Liaise for the hospital and clinics in the area
- Weekly administration requirements, including; reporting, management of case files and attending meetings
- Qualified Professional Nursing Sister
- Minimum five years’ experience working as a Nursing Sister
- Experience in child and maternal health is desirable
- Computer literacy
- Code 08 driver’s license
- Fluency in both English and IsiXhosa
- Active member in her community
- People Management
- Teamwork and Leadership
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter to [email protected]
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information about the Philani Child Health and Nutrition Trust, refer to www.philani.org.za