R1 is a leading provider of technology-enabled revenue cycle management services which transform and solve challenges across health systems, hospitals and physician practices. Headquartered in Chicago, R1 is publicly-traded organization with employees throughout the US and international locations.
Our mission is to be the one trusted partner to manage revenue, so providers and patients can focus on what matters most. Our priority is to always do what is best for our clients, patient’s and each other. With our proven and scalable operating model, we complement a healthcare organization’s infrastructure, quickly driving sustainable improvements to net patient revenue and cash flows while reducing operating costs and enhancing the patient experience.
Hours will fall between 8:30am-7pm EST Monday thru Friday.
The Patient Access Registration Specialist (PARS) position is a part of the Financial Clearance Center (FCC), the starting gate for the patient hospital experience. This position works remote making calls to patients in an effort to reduce the risk to our clients prior to services being rendered by educating patients about their patient financial liability to ensure the patient experiences a smooth registration process. The PARS role is the perfect entry level position for someone who wants to start their career with R1. PARS staff is committed to delivering outstanding customer service for all our patients and internal/external. You will be supported by strong training, top technology and effective leadership. Hard work, exemplary performance and continuously expanding knowledge base can lead to opportunities to move up and become a great people leader at R1.
This role reports to a department Operations Supervisor and receives ongoing support from the PARS Team Lead.
Your day to day role will include:
- Meets or exceeds daily production goals.
- Creates patient encounter for scheduled services in hospital mainframe based on information provided in hospital scheduling system.
- Initiates contact with client hospital patients and/or physicians via telephone using appropriate scripting to pre-register the patient, ensuring collection of critical data elements necessary for proper patient identification and billing.
- Identify and update patient demographic information in the hospital’s mainframe as defined by departmental policy and procedures.
- Identifies inaccurate plan codes and corrects in the hospital’s main frame.
- Identify non-participating Insurances or Out of Networks plans; takes necessary steps to inform patients and physicians regarding options, including but not limited to canceling appointment.
- Validate insurance information via electronic medical record or insurance eligibility tool.
- Basic CPT coding to create patient out of pocket estimate during pre-registration; educates patient on basic insurance benefits and estimated out of pocket
- Uses payment portal to securely collect patient out of pocket balances
- Adheres to the guidelines set forth in the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Must provide own high-speed internet access, 60 mbps download speed and 10mbps upload speed or better, internet cannot be through a dsl or satellite dish. Should be through a provider such as Spectrum, Comcast, etc. Must plug into internet/modem using an Ethernet cable (provided) as use of WiFi for connection is prohibited as it can cause access issues.
- At least one (1) year of similar experience (patient-facing, patient access).
- Excellent customer service skills exhibiting good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to type fast and accurately.
- Must be able to communicate effectively and professionally to our patients and physician offices.
- Ability to multi-task
It would be great if you also have:
- Basic Word/Excel.
- Medical terminology.
- Previous coding/billing experience.
R1 is changing healthcare by infusing operational discipline and proprietary technology in hospital financial processes. We are an industry leader; we are the only independent organization with a comprehensive service and technology offering for hospital revenue cycle management, and we have achieved leading outcomes for our customers.
- A strong financial performing, growing organization that will keep you on your toes with new ideas, changes and opportunities to learn and grow in abundance.
- A culture of excellence, driving customer success so they can focus on improving patient care and on giving back to the community.
- A Total Rewards package which may include such things as: competitive compensation package, the ability to choose from a comprehensive benefit program mostly funded by R1 that includes medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, commuter benefits, life and disability insurance, along with work life balance programs including paid time off for personal time, illness and volunteering, and we offer a retirement savings plan and continuing training and development and so much more!
Sound like you? Let’s talk!
R1 is a leading provider of revenue cycle management services and Physician Advisory Services to healthcare providers. We are the largest independent end-to-end revenue cycle provider and have the longest operating history in the revenue cycle industry. R1’s objective is to be the one trusted partner to manage revenue so providers and patients can focus on what matters most. Our distinctive operating model and values includes people, processes, and sophisticated integrated technology/analytics that help customers realize sustainable improvements in their operating margins and improve the satisfaction of their patients, physicians, and staff. We are dedicated to transforming the commercial infrastructure and patient experience in healthcare.