The OWSD Early Career Fellowship is a prestigious award of up to USD 50,000 offered to women who have completed their PhDs in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) subjects and are employed at an academic or scientific research institute in one of the listed Science and Technology Lagging Countries (STLCs). The OWSD Early Career fellows are supported to establish environments at their institutions where they can maintain an international standard of research and attract scholars from all over the world to collaborate.
- The OWSD Early Career Fellowship is for three years and provides up to USD 50,000.
Please note that the OWSD Early Career Fellowship does not provide for the fellow’s salary which must be guaranteed by the fellow’s institution.
- The fellow’s institution must waive any overhead or indirect costs on the research project. However, applicants can include in their budget break-down any costs for support from the institution that will directly benefit the research project (for example, lab technician’s time, maintenance and utilities costs, administrative officer’s time, etc.).
- The fellowship entails an initial advance payment, disbursements at regular intervals, reimbursements of expenses made with funds advanced by the Administering Institute, and also support for direct procurement done by the OWSD Secretariat on fellows’ behalf (only for purchases above USD 4,500).
To be eligible to apply for the OWSD Early Career Fellowship applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. Eligible countries
- Applicants must have been resident in one of the listed Science and Technology Lagging Countries (STLCs) for at least 5 years. The 5 years do not have to be consecutive.
- Applicants can be citizens of any country, provided that the above residence requirement is fulfilled.
Eligible STEM fields (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics)
- Agricultural Sciences
- Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Chemical Sciences
- Computing and Information Technology
- Engineering Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Medical and Health Sciences
- Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the OWSD Early Career Women Scientists (ECWS) Fellowship Programme