- Democratic, responsive, accountable and transparent governance
- The strengthening of democracy through informed and appropriate checks and balances on the exercise of public and private power
- The free flow of information
- Informed and active communities
- Adherence to the rule of law and universal access to justice
- The ability of the poor, disadvantaged and marginalised to exercise their rights
In seeking to promote these principles, OSF-SA is guided by South Africa’s painful past and the values contained in South Africa’s Constitution of human dignity, non-discrimination, seeking the achievement of substantive equality and the advancement of human rights.
OSF – SA seeks to appoint an EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR to be based in Cape Town
Key responsibilities of this exciting, challenging opportunity include:
- Providing overall strategic direction by developing and recommending appropriate strategies
- and policies to OSF-SA’s Board for approval and ensuring their successful implementation in line with the mandate and vision of the foundation;
- Reporting to the Board and participation as a member to ensure that the Board is well informed in providing overall oversight, guidance and direction in leading OSF-SA;
- Overseeing the management of OSF-SA’s finances, ensuring financial transparency, compliance, and accountability are of the highest standard and accounted for through timely and accurate reporting to the Board, the OSF network through the Africa Regional Director and OSF’s internal auditors;
- Providing overall direction and management of OSF-SA in relation to strategy, policy, research, programme and grant management, human resources, finances and communications;
- Creating and maintaining a motivational climate, which promotes valued and engaged employees and the development of constructive working relationships;
- Ensuring that OSF-SA’s operation is based on respect for principles of equity, inclusion and diversity;
- Managing relationships with key stakeholders and communicating with them both formally and informally to ensure they understand OSF-SA and its objectives and ensure their needs are understood and translated into practical applications;
- In addition to reporting to OSF-SA’s Board, reporting and driving collaboration with the wider OSF network; managing relationships and communicating both formally and informally to ensure optimal synergies and engagement by the OSF network as a whole in South Africa;
- Ensuring compliance with Corporate Governance and relevant domestic legislation.
The successful candidate will demonstrate significant personal and professional commitment to the advancement of open society values across South Africa and detailed understanding of the country’sgeo-political landscape and historical context. She/he will bring substantive analytical skills to bear in designing strategy that meaningfully promotes human rights and constitutionalism in South Africa.
She/he will need to be experienced in and enjoy navigating a complex stakeholder terrain, and have an instinctive understanding of how to build and leverage relationships in support of OSF-SA’s mission.
Operating on the highest ethical and fiduciary standards will be fundamental to success in this role and the Executive Director is expected to embody the values that OSF-SA seeks to promote.