Fee: GBP 12,000 (paid in monthly instalments of £1,000)
Duration: 5 July 2021 – 4 July 2022
The Commonwealth Blue Charter and the Commonwealth Youth Programme (CYP) are looking for an Ocean Youth Outreach Assistant (OYOA) who will encourage and facilitate youth engagement in the critical work of the Commonwealth Blue Charter, as well as build synergies with other related Commonwealth youth initiatives.
The OYOA will build bridges between the activities of the Commonwealth Blue Charter Programme and those of the Youth section and Commonwealth Youth Networks.
The OYO Assistant will be expected to:
- To facilitate collaboration, aligning and synergising initiatives and programmes between Blue Charter and CYP; including: Assist with the youth ocean photo competition; Promote ocean literacy; Assist with the solicitation and compilation of ocean-related stories / videos (see: https://bluecharter.thecommonwealth.org/sea-voices/); and Identify opportunities for collaboration between the Blue Charter programme and the Youth Climate Change Network;
- Actively research, participate, engage and share Blue Charter’s programmes and youth opportunities related to oceans with the wider network of Commonwealth Youth and CYN members;
- Advocate and facilitate inclusivity within the Blue Charter and its work, with a focus on youth, gender, disability and minority representation;
- Attend relevant meetings on behalf of the Secretariat and provide reports;
- Identify and advance opportunities and methods to achieve and apply a youth perspective to Blue Charter communications;
- Maintain management database, including updating youth network contacts and information for the CYP team;
- Assist with preparation of annual reports, general meetings minutes, and grant proposals related to OYOA;
- Provide administrative support to the Blue Charter and Youth section;
- Support publications of social media posts, concept notes, proposals and reports;
- Assist the delivery of webinars organised by the Blue Charter team; and
- Maintain frequent and consistent communication with the assigned staff(s) from the Blue Charter and CYP teams, and youth networks. This includes ensuring regular updates, and the sharing of Blue Charter work to Commonwealth young people;
- Perform any other duties as may be required from time to time.
- To be considered for this opportunity, you will need to be:
- Aged between 18 to 29 years at the time of application;
- A citizen of a Commonwealth member country;
- Committed to Commonwealth values and the Blue Charter’s aims;
- Passionate about the ocean and sustainability;
- Able to commit on average 15 hours per week to this role;
- Experienced in youth work, outreach and communication strategy and implementation
- University degree in a relevant topic (e.g. environmental sciences / management, sustainability, international development, marine biology, or maritime law) strongly preferred, though real-world experience will also be taken into account.
For more information, please refer to the terms of reference.
To apply for the role, please submit a Cover Letter with your CV by 10 June 2021 17:00 BST, outlining your experience and suitability for the position.
For any questions please email Miski Omar at [email protected]