REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
(Consulting Services- Individual Selection)
Assignment Tittle: Occupational Health and Safety Consultancy to Develop National Occupational Health and Safety Programme for Ministry of Health
SATBHSS Project Issue Date: 29-06-2018
Tuberculosis is a major cause of morbidity and mortality in Lesotho with TB incidence estimated at 724/100,000 in 2016. The high rates of TB in the country are mainly attributed to HIV/AIDS and mining. While the majority of miners and ex-miners in Lesotho work in South African mines, the country has a booming mining industry which has a high potential of creating employment for local population. However, despite being an important economic development sector, the nature of mining activities expose miners to a high risk of contracting TB. The important drivers of TB amongst miners and ex-miners are HIV/AIDS and silicosis which is aggravated by exposure to silica dust and working conditions in the mines.
It is against this background that the Government of the Kingdom of Lesotho is collaborating with Governments of Malawi, Mozambique and Zambia to implement the Southern Africa TB and Health Systems Support (SATBHSS) Project. The SATBHSS project is a five-year project with the overall objectives to (i) improve coverage and quality of TB control and occupational lung disease services in targeted geographic areas of the participating countries, and (ii) strengthen regional capacity to manage the burden of TB and occupational diseases. The project is funded by the World Bank with regional technical support from East Central and Southern Africa Health Community (ECSA-HC) and the New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD) Agency.
Through the SATBHSS project, Government of Lesotho is committed to strengthening Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) services in the mining sector with the view to protect and promoting the health (as well as safety) of the workers in the mining industry However, though there are OHS departments in the Ministry of Labour and Ministry of Mines, the Ministry of Health does not have a policy and programme to spearhead its contribution to occupational health service provision in the country. The Ministry is therefore seeking the services of a consultant to support the development of an Occupational Health programme including the policy, strategy and operational plan and the OHS policy targeted for the health care workers.
Objectives of the Consultancy
The two main objectives of this assignment include:
- To develop, expand and strengthen an occupational health (OH) Services programme for the Ministry of Health including developing a policy, strategy and an operational plan that will guide strengthening of OH services in Lesotho. To define for the Ministry of Health the essential elements of the occupational health services to be provided by the MoH (clinical evaluations, chest radiography, spirometric lung function test, others) and thus define the requirements needed for the provision of such services.
- To develop an occupational health and safety (OHS) programme for the Ministry of Health including a policy, strategy and operational plan that will guide strengthening of OHS services for health workers in Lesotho.
Description of the Proposed Work
The consultancy will leverage on the OHS baseline study results, profile and international best practices to carry out the following tasks:
- Develop the Occupational Health Service delivery policy for the Ministry of health, which will outline:
- Clear objectives, and roles and responsibilities of the ministry of health
- Establishment and functions of the occupational health structures, and the tools needed to effectively implement the policy;
- Funding model for Occupational Health program;
- Required legislation and guidelines;
- Organogram; and Strategic partnerships
- Guide the MOH in determining the functions, roles, and responsibilities for Occupational Health services at all levels (Central level, District level, and facility level)
- Develop the organizational structure for OH program (Positions, roles and responsibilities, and hierarchies) taking into consideration the hierarchical structure of the MOH
- Advise on collaboration mechanism/plan with other line ministries on OHS service provision
- Outline the required occupational health screening and prevention protocols and guidelines for specific occupational diseases and hazards
- Facilitate technical linkages and collaboration with strategic institutions, think-tanks and academic organizations working in occupational health and safety at the national, regional and international levels
- Develop the strategic plan with an accompanying operational plan and Monitoring and Evaluation plan to guide the occupational health programs
- Develop a five year Occupational Health and safety policy for the Ministry of health, which will outline:
- Clear objectives, and roles and responsibilities of the ministry of health as an employer to provide a safe environment for the health care workers
- Establishment and functions of the workplace health and safety structures, and the tools needed to effectively implement the policy;
- Develop a five year OHS Policy implementation strategy and accompanying costed one-yearoperational plan and the Monitoring and Evaluation framework which will provide clarity on what, when, where, who and how results will be achieved.
- Develop the OHS guidelines which include Health care workers screening for TB and other occupational and other preventative measures for infectious diseases
Scope of Work
The assignment will be undertaken in the Ministry of Health of the Kingdom of Lesotho. The consultant will undertake a desk review which will include reviewing existing reports from the OHS baseline study, national Occupational health and OHS profiles, and any other study conducted at the national and regional level to propose the most efficient and effective OHS model for the Ministry of health and to strengthen the Occupational Health Services in Lesotho. Reference will also be made to international best practices and regional lessons in the design of the occupational Health Service program (service delivery) and the OHS program for the Ministry of Health.
The consultant will use participatory processes to develop the policy, implementation strategy, operational plan and outlining the OHS guidelines for the Ministry of Health. The policy will cut across all levels of service provision from the national to district level and be aligned with international best practices. The consultant will conduct consultative meetings with key stakeholders including government ministries and departments, private sector, labor union, civil society etc. to ensure stakeholder’s buy-in. The Ministry of Health shall assist the consultant by providing leadership in convening consultation meetings with key stakeholders at the national, district and local level.
The consultancy is expected to generate the following outputs:
- MOH Occupational Health services policy
- Occupational Health services policy implementation strategy and operational plan for MOH
- Monitoring and Evaluation Plan for the Occupational Health Programs
- OHS policy for Health workers and recommended list of guidelines
- OHS policy implementation strategy and operational plan including the Monitoring and Evaluation plan
Duration of the Assignment: 180 days (6 Months)
Eligibility and Application Minimum Requirements
Applications should be submitted by the potential consultants with proven experience and track record in the development of occupational health and safety policies, strategic and operational plans for government ministries or companies. Specifically, the consultants should meet these minimum requirements:
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in either of the following: Occupational Health, Occupational Hygiene, Public Health, Safety Management or any related fields with specialized training on occupational health and safety
- A Physician with specialization in Chest Radiography, Imaging, Respiratory medicine, and/or Occupational Medicine will constitute an added advantage
- At least 10 years’ experience in occupational health and safety
- Experience in undertaking similar assignments within the SADC region
- 5 – 10 years’ experience in the public sector will be an added advantage
All applications should be in English and must be properly filled in and be couriered or hand delivered with the subject ” Occupational Health and Safety Consultancy to Develop National Occupational Health and Safety Programme for Ministry of Health” to the below address. Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below in person, on or before 26th July 2018, 1200 hour Local time.
Attn: Mr. Moeketsi Mokhoabo-Procurement Specialist and copy Mr. T Mosae -Procurement Manager Procurement Unit, Ground Floor, Ministry of Health Headquarters ,Corner Constitution Road & Linare Road P. O. Box 514, Maseru 100, Lesotho, Tel:(+266) 62474316/22326114/27323277