My Vote Counts (MVC) is a non-profit that aims to improve the accountability, transparency and inclusiveness in South Africa’s political and electoral systems. We achieve our aims through research, advocacy, campaigning, popular education and strategic litigation.
MVC seeks to appoint a full time Access to Information (ATI) Officer to be based in Observatory, Cape Town.
Employment type: 12-month fixed term contract (renewable depending on funding)
- ATI & Research:
- Prepare, submit and monitor access to information requests under the Promotion of Access to Information Act;
- Engage with and provide analysis of information emanating from the Political Party Funding Act;
- Conduct research to support MVC’s political systems project work with a focus on but not limited to political party funding and intra-party democracy;
- Produce content and develop written material;
- Communicate with relevant organisations and public institutions such as provincial and national legislatures and the Information Regulator.
- Assist with administrative and operational tasks when required;
- Assist with logistical requirements on special projects and media events;
- Assist with developing content for MVC’s electronic media channels;
- Contribute to quarterly reports to the MVC board;
- Contribute to donor reports.
- Must be a South African citizen or permanent resident with a valid working visa with at minimum an Honours degree in an appropriate field;
- Must have experience in research and with South Africa’s access to information legal framework;
- Must have a deep interest in politics and subscribe to MVC’s objectives of enhancing accountability, transparency and inclusiveness in South Africa’s political and electoral system;
- Must have an affinity for information and be comfortable engaging with and analysing large data sets;
- Experience with data analysis is an advantage;
- Must be able to produce written material of a high quality and be able to make complicated information accessible to a wide audience;
- An ability to work on multiple projects concurrently;
- Intermediate IT skills is a minimum requirement;
- Minimum work experience of 2 years;
- Previous experience working in an NGO environment is an advantage;
- An ability to conduct oneself with discretion and sensitivity.
Candidates must submit a CV (maximum 3 pages); cover letter (maximum 1 page); and current contact details of at least three referees to [email protected]
Please make the subject line of your email: “Access to Information Officer”.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. If you do not receive a response, please consider your application unsuccessful. Please only apply if you meet the requirements stipulated above.
For more about My Vote Counts, refer to www.myvotecounts.org.za