Ministry of Mining sensitizes communities on explosives

Originally published by Ministry of Mining Lesotho

Photo by Jens Johnsson on Unsplash

The Ministry of Mining in collaboration with The Lesotho Mounted Police (LMPS) (CID-Firearms) held an awareness campaign through different radio stations to sensitize the public about explosizes. EXPLOSIVES.

What is an explosive?

It is a mixture of substances that may undergo chemical reaction change with liberation of large quantity energy, e:g Nitro-glycerin, dynamite or other nitroglycerine admixture, guncotton, blasting powder, gun powder, detonators, fuses and every other substance used to produce a practical effect by explosion.

Types of explosives (Commercial and military explosives).

Ministry of Mining deals with only commercial explosives, under regulating law of Explosives proclamation act 41 of 1958(handling, use, transportation, danger associated with, etc.)

How to store explosives?

They are only stored in a magazine, which is a building / a structure licensed or authorized by the commissioner of Police and inspector of explosives to store explosives. The Government Magazine under the Ministry of Mining is located at Maqhaka.

No person is allowed to keep explosives in a dwelling place or business building.

Explosives are only given to people with blasting licenses and are the only ones who may be given permission to handle, transport and use them.

DISPOSAL/RETURNING OF EXPLOSIVES: Unused explosives should be returned to a licensed magazine. An inspector of explosives is the only authorized person to order the destruction / disposal of explosives unfit to use.

TRANSPORTATION OF EXPLOSIVES: Explosives can be transported by an insulated van, with canopy, strobe light, four red flags on all corners of the van, with blasting license holder and escorted by Lesotho Mounted Police (LMPS).

IDENTIFICATION OF EXPLOSIVES: UN code categorizes explosives well. (UN code between 0301 to 0400). Explosives packages are labeled or tagged with signs of danger, flammables and branded ’EXPLOSIVES’.
How to get a Blasting License and Magazine Master License.
BLASTING LICENSE: It is given to every Mosotho citizens with 18 years and above who proves to be competent and shall undergo theoretical and practical tests.

MAGAZINE LICENSE: This license is given to companies dealing with explosives and such companies must also have blasting licenses.
PORTABLE MAGAZINE LICENSE: It is for transportation and temporary storage of explosives on sites.

DANGER CAUSE BY EXPLOSIVES: Explosives cause fatalities and injuries. They can destroy an infrastructure (buildings, public roads etc.). Explosives are not environmentally friendly (cause noise, dust, and vibrations).

How to avoid danger caused by explosives:

  1. They can only be used by an authorized Blasting License holder.
  2. Storing in an appropriate storage facilities
  3. Reporting to the nearest police station if one suspects an item to be an explosive.