Reference Number: CFA2021/02
Position Title: Medical Assistant (On-call)
Position Grade: Ungraded
Duty Station: Pretoria, South Africa
Appointment Type: Special All Inclusive Hourly Contract
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 24 September 2021
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), general supervision of Migration Health Officer (MHO) and the direct supervision of the Senior Medical Assistant the successful candidate will be responsible for the carrying out the following duties and responsibilities in relation to the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) in Pretoria, South Africa.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide migrants’ information regarding health assessments by phone or e-mail.
- Support registration of migrants in the IOM database, schedule and confirm medical appointments and receive and communicate messages for medical staff and beneficiaries.
- Prepare master lists of migrants scheduled for health assessment processing and submit them to respective service providers / relevant persons as required.
- Maintain daily statistics related to health assessments and update the records as appropriate,
- Contribute to customer satisfaction evaluation management.
Reception and Data Entry overall duties:
- Perform all the necessary data processing activities of the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC), such as:
a. receiving and explaining the registration process to applicants;
b. checking applicant’s identity;
c. entering bio-data of the applicants in the appropriate platform;
d. taking photos using webcam and loading the image to the appropriate platform; and,
e. printing of medical forms, consent forms and other necessary documents.
- Receive all completed medical examination forms, x-rays and other documents from Country Offices or Panel Physicians while updating the reception of the same in the database and forward for quality check before clearance, if applicable;
- Support preparation, sorting and package medical files and other documents during mobile migration health assessment missions;
- Support transmission of completed medical forms, DNA packages and other medical documents either by electronic means or by courier services to the various partners. Ensure correct contacts and physical address are used whenever documents are transmitted by courier services and ensure to inform the receiving party of the parcel tracking number electronically;
- Support filing of incoming/outgoing letters, reports, memoranda, emails faxes as well as IOM documents and forms related to IOM medical issues.
- Check, print and make photocopy of bank deposit slips (or other proof of payment). Regularly submit these photocopies to the Administrative/Finance Assistant; and,
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Secondary School Diploma with at least four years of relevant working experience
• University Degree with at least two years of relevant working experience; or,
• Certificate in IT/Data entry is an advantage.
• Experience in computer data entry, elaboration and analysis or in a call centre in a busy institution, preferably a medical one;
• Typing speed of at least 60 words per minute;
• High computer literacy in Windows and MS Office is mandatory, knowledge of web page design would be an asset;
• Knowledge of medical terminology, as well as previous secretarial and archival experience, an added advantage; and,
• Previous working experience with NGOs or international organizations is an added advantage.
Fluency in English is required.
Working knowledge of local languages is desirable.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
• Inclusion & respect for diversity – Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Integrity & transparency – Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Professionalism – Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Teamwork – Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
• Delivering Results – Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
• Managing and sharing knowledge – Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
• Accountability – Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
• Communication – Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
How to apply
If you are qualified for this position, please email the following to [email protected] under the REFERENCE: CFA2021/02 in the subject line of your email:
a. A COVER LETTER MOTIVATING YOUR APPLICATION
b. DETAILED CV
c. COPY OF ID
d. IOM PERSONNEL HISTORY FORM WHICH YOU WILL FIND ON HTTP://SOUTHAFRICA.IOM.INT IN THE VACANCIES SECTION
Kindly quote the REFERENCE- CFA2021/02 in the subject line of your application. We will not be able to track your applications without the reference code provided. Incomplete applications will be rejected.
Please send your CV’s by 24 September 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
ENQUIRIES IN RESPECT TO THE JOB DESCRIPTION AND APPLICATION MAY BE DIRECTED TO THE SAME EMAIL ADDRESS.