Forestry Saiccor Customer Services Centre
Management Forester – Khulisa ( HRL 15U )
Sappi Forests requires a Management Forester t o build grower’s capacity and capabilities to plan, execute & achieve the operational forestry management, harvesting objectives & targets for fibre production within resource & safety parameters to ensure a sustainable fibre supply to Sappi mills and profits to grower
This role reports to the Forestry Manager
The main responsibilities of this job are:
- Assist the grower to plan the annual re-establishment program (planting & coppice regeneration), on Forcelink or microforests using TUP and reestablishment plan provided by the Planning department and place plants order with Nurseries, and execute to achieve Temporary Unplanted targets within budget constraints
- Assist the grower/contractor to ensure maximum stocking within silvicultural standards is achieved on all reestablishment operations to optimize harvesting timber yields and profits for the growers
- Assist the grower to put in place a service level agreement with contractor to ensure all operations comply with Sappi’s silviculture BOP and the grower/service provider is held to account for any poor quality work done.
- Assist the grower in esuring land-preparation & re-establishment (planting and coppice) is according to Sappi’s BOP standards and quality expectations using the RMS; APO (silviculture and harvesting) to achieve Temporary Unplanted targets within budget constraint; lower risk exposure and improve efficiencies.
- Monitor and manage plant use efficiency by tracking consumption against order including confirmed infield plantings to ensure plants are accounted for and costs within budget and ensure the grower builds appreciation of these principles
- Assist the grower to develop an intergrated maintenance plan using silviculture and harvesting APO; TUP and the previous 3 years plantings ensure maximum plants survival and improved yields at harvest whilst keeping costs within budget
- Assist the grower to develop a phased harvest plan per compartment using the harvesting APO working with both the grower and the contractor to ensure shared responsibility and guarantee rateable Woodfibre supply to market
- Conduct a risk assessment per compartment pre- and interim harvesting operation to identify and mitigate potential safety hazards and ensure the grower builds appreciation of these principles
- Monitor Woodfibre quality and production rates by conducting recorded interim operational inspections to ensure adherence to daily production targets and Mill quality specifications and ensure the grower builds appreciation of these principles
- Monitor Woodfibre movement by keeping records of infield and depots stocks and reporting regularly to FM to ensure rateable Woodfibre supply to markets as per the different markets needs and ensure the grower builds appreciation of these principles
- Assist the grower to develop a plantation management plan (PMP) as well as a fire risk mananagement plan to identify risks, record & implement fire control procedures in order to ensure the effective protection of people, plantation and other assets from forest fires
- Support the development of service providers’ capacity to ensure skills transfer and supplier development
The ideal candidate should have:
- National Diploma in Forestry or related qualification.
- A Degree in forestry or related qualification would be preferable.
- Minimum 3 years relevant experience.
Closing date: 08 April 2020
How to Apply? Please click on one of the buttons below. If you encounter any issue while applying contact your HR contact .
Feel free to visit our website for further information www.sappi.com
Sappi is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Should you not have been contacted within 14 days of the closing date of this advert, please consider your application unsuccessful.