mothers2mothers (m2m) is an Africa-based NGO that unlocks the potential of women to eliminate paediatric AIDS and create healthy families across eight sub-Saharan countries. m2m trains, employs, and helps empower HIV-positive women to work as community healthcare workers in understaffed health centres and underserved communities. Through a peer-to-peer approach, these ‘Mentor Mothers’ deliver a range of health services, advice, and support to women and their families. Started in Cape Town, South Africa in 2001 with an initial focus on preventing mother-to-child transmission of HIV, m2m has innovated and built on its strengths and now provides family-centred support for a range of related health and social issues spanning pregnancy, birth, childhood, and adolescence. It also partners with governments and other NGOs on the adoption of its programme to spread the Mentor Mother Model and its benefits. m2m has a track record of scaling its services and proven impact. In 2017, m2m and its partners enrolled 2.3 million new clients. m2m has virtually eliminated mother-to-child transmission of HIV among the enrolled clients it serves directly for the last four years, with an average transmission rate of just 1.6%, while 97% of children in its ECD programmes meet all of their development milestones at 12 months. For more, visit www.m2m.org.
Senior Communications Officer (Temporary) – Cape Town
Key Performance Areas:
- Lead and manage m2m’s spokeswomen project. This includes identification and selection of spokeswomen, coordination of biennial training, liaising with international offices to prepare spokeswomen for trips, and preparation for public speaking and media engagement.
- Lead coordination of high level site visits, facilitate on-site conversations, and oversee coordination of all other site visits.
- Lead the execution of m2m and external partners filming and photo projects
- Ensure the maintenance of the country pages of the m2m website.
- Support the development of Africa focused content for social media, including conceptualising, drafting and editing.
- Assist Global Communications Director with drawing up and implementing relevant elements of the Communications strategic plan.
- Act as a key link between Head Office Communications and m2m Country offices, including building a network of Country Communications Champions and providing training and capacity building where necessary.
- Act as key link between Operations/ Programmes and Communications Departments to source content and provide communications guidance.
- Contribute to the development of other communications policies and procedures.
- Manage the Communications Assistant, ensure that their deliverables are met and provide adequate support to their professional development.
- Oversee the update, production and dissemination of the internal weekly newsletter.
- Support other communications related duties.
- Work with Country Leads to identify advocacy opportunities for Spokeswomen in country
- Attend and speak on behalf of m2m at relevant conferences
Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or related field, or equivalent experience.
- At least three years’ prior working experience in communications
- Experience working in the NPO sector (preferably working within an HIV/ AIDS, public health or women’s rights organisation)
- Excellent communications skills in English (written and verbal)
- Committed team player with ability to foster strong working relations in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to work to tight deadlines within a pressurised environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to liaise at all levels
- Exceptional organisational skills and attention to detail
- Passionate commitment to make a difference in the lives of women, children and families
mothers2mothers is an equal opportunity employer. We particularly encourage applications from people living with HIV and AIDS (PLWHA), people with disabilities, women and previously disadvantaged people.
Competitive salary packages will be negotiable in accordance with m2m’s remuneration policies.