ITPC is a worldwide network of community activists united by our vision of a longer, healthier, more productive life for people living with HIV and/or AIDS (PLWHA). ITPC’s mission is to enable communities in need to access HIV treatment. ITPC was formed in 2003 at a historic meeting of 125 HIV treatment activists, mostly from the global south, that took place in Cape Town, South Africa. In 2005, ITPC registered as a company limited by guarantee. It is was incorporated in Botswana under the Botswana Companies Act. Until 2018 the Botswana entity has being operating as the Global office. In 2016, ITPC-Global registered as a not for profit organisation incorporated under the Companies Act of South Africa.
ITPC is seeks to appoint an Accountant to join our global team to be based in Johannesburg, South Africa.
The purpose of the position is to be responsible for performing accounting and financial functions. This position is expected to function with a minimum amount of oversight while performing complex accounting work that require the application of accounting principles and standards to the financial activities of ITPC. The position is also responsible for finance data processing, expenditure control, preparing timely and accurate financial/fiscal reporting and assisting in the preparation of monthly financial spreadsheets, cash flow forecasts, and the annual operating budget, as well as multiple financial forecasts during the fiscal year. The Senior Accountant will ensure sound fiscal management systems comply with donor rules and regulations and will coordinate with technical staff to ensure smooth implementation of activities. This role reports to the Finance Manager, with a dotted line to the Director of Finance.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
- Essential functions include (but are not limited to):
- Support ITPC financial management/accounting functions;
- Ensure that the accounting system is kept up to date;
- Process all financial transactions in the accounting system, in an accurate and timely fashion to enable accurate financial reporting and monitoring;
- Ensure compliance and adherence to donor regulations and procedures, including maintenance of internal control and accountability of ITPC resources;
- Provide financial management inputs in implementation and monitoring funded activities;
- Ensure that staff advances (staff travel), staff claims and reimbursements are documented, recorded, reconciled and paid out timeously;
- Ensure that payment of the payroll is executed accurately and timeously;
- Ensure compliance, payment and recording of all statutory withholdings to government agencies (PAYE, UIF, SDL, COIDA, VAT, etc.) and filing of annual returns with CIPC;
- Perform accounting transactions;
- Undertake periodic desk reviews and field visits to supervise and monitor grantee liquidation reports and financial processes;
- Prepare invoices for payment, obtaining approvals and budget codes from relevant budget holders.;
- Maintain and manage achieving of financial documents-filing system to safeguard financial records and audit trails;
- Other adhoc duties as required.
- Budget tracking
- Keep track and regularly update of our budget utilisation status to ensure proper cash flow;
- Provide support to budget holders as necessary.
- Financial reporting
- Help prepare accurate and timely financial management reports on a monthly basis, quarterly accounts for the Board and annual accounts/ financial statements;
- Prepare reconciliation of all balance sheet accounts on a monthly basis to ensure exceptions are identified and dealt promptly.
- Audit process
- Assist with financial audit preparation and;
- Support Director of Finance during our annual audit;
- Assist with audit findings and their resolutions, taking the lead when requested.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Accounting or related field with 7-8 years relevant experience in NGO Sector, or
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Accounting or related field with 4-6 years relevant experience in NGO sector in similar position;
- Working experience in administration, finance, accounting required;
- Experience of not for profit sector a must;
- Professional Accountancy Certification such as ACCA, CIMA, ICAEW, ICAS, CPA, SAIPA, CA or equivalent is required;
- Experience with USAID, Unitiad, Global Fund, Aidsfonds, DFID, EU or other UN agencies;
- Technical accounting skills, especially in relation accounting standards, statutory accounting and Specialized knowledge in IAS and IFRS;
- Experience with project-multi donor accounting;
- Relevant technical experience of tax compliance and reporting;
- Financial rigor comfort working in multiple currencies transaction;
- Strong analytical skills and highly numerate;
- Hands-on, involved approach to working; proven ability to be detail-oriented;
- Adaptable and positive view of continuous improvement;
- Strong IT skills, including accounting and reporting packages (Sage, Pastel) and especially Excel;
- Ability to explain financial information to non-financial staff in a clear and concise way;
- Service oriented, customer focused approach, with the ability to understand the user’s / Non-Finance perspective and respond appropriately;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, demonstrating high levels of personal integrity and professional credibility;
- Comfort working collaboratively and managing staff both in-person & virtually (using Zoom, Skype and other tools;
- Excellent inter-personal skills and ability to work with colleagues from different cultural; backgrounds and perspectives (teams embedded in different cultures/countries);
- Works under limited guidance; accountable to complete work assignments;
- Strong written and oral communication (including presentation) skills in English is required.
- In addition to English language, the ability to work in another language is a plus;
- Experience in International Development sector;
- Able to undertake occasional international travel;
- Sage Evolution experience.
This job description reflects the core activities of the position.
As the service and the post-holder develop, there will inevitably be some changes to the duties, and possibly to the emphasis of the position itself.
We expect that the post-holder will recognise this and will adopt a flexible approach to work.
This could include undertaking relevant training where necessary.
The line manager will consult the post-holder if significant changes to the job description become necessary.
Any changes will be reflected in a revised job description.
Persons living with HIV and/or HCV and who are from key affected populations are strongly encouraged to apply.
ITPC provides a competitive salary package based on candidate’s experience and skills.
To apply send resume (4pages maximum, with two most recent work references) and cover letter (1 page maximum) to [email protected] with the subject line “Accountant – Application: LAST NAME, First Name”. No phone calls please, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
To ensure the timely review of your credentials, please insert “Accountant” in the subject line of the email. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Applicants who fail to meet the minimum requirements will be automatically disqualified from consideration.
Candidates who applied before for this position should not apply.
To learn more about ITPC please visit: www.itpcglobal.org
For more about ITPC, refer to http://itpcglobal.org