Ipas works globally so that women and girls have improved sexual and reproductive health and
rights through enhanced access to and use of safe abortion and contraceptive care. We believe in
a world where every woman and girl has the right and ability to determine her own sexuality and
Ipas South Africa has partnered with community-based organisations (CBOs) to implement a communications campaign. The CBOs are responsible for implementing the campaign alongside other activities geared towards increased awareness of, confidence in, and utilization of safe abortion services at public facilities by adolescents and young women in Limpopo and Gauteng.
The objectives of the campaign are:
- To positively situate women and girls’ rights to contraceptive and abortion methods of their choice.
- To raise awareness on the dangers of unsafe abortion among women and girls.
- To target state officials in advocating for women and girls’ sexual and reproductive health and rights.
Scope of Work
To complement this work, Ipas South Africa seeks to appoint a Media Consultant to conduct a workshop to equip CBO representatives with media relations skills with the aim of maximizing positive coverage on safe abortion and contraceptive services.
The consultant will facilitate a one-day workshop addressing the following topics:
- Media outreach – Relationship building for reaching a broader audience
- Framing of media messages on abortion and contraceptives – a rights-based approach
- Monitoring and responding to negative media reports (e.g. anti-choice/opposition)
- Identifying and capacitating media champions
- Documenting and profiling success stories
- Social Media Campaigning
The consultant is expected to prepare content for and facilitate a one-day workshop for 20 participants in Johannesburg, on 26 August 2019. The Consultant must submit a report of the one-day process, outlining the discussions and outputs of the workshops by 2 September 2019.
Expressions of Interest can be submitted by means of a:
- Short summary about relevant skills, experience (CV) and portfolio of work
- Motivational letter
- Quotation for facilitating a workshop in Johannesburg (including preparation, facilitation and a post-workshop report)
Submissions should reach Ipas by mid-day on 22 August 2019 – directed to Tshinondiwa Ramaite on [email protected]