Vacancy/Reference Number: VNSA2019-04
Position Grade: G6 (UN Salary Scale for General Staff)
Appointment Type: One Year Fixed Term Contract, with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Monitor vaccine stocks in the clinic, generate monthly stock reports, vaccine consumption reports and identify vaccine stock levels that require additional orders
- Arrange for vaccines procurement upon arrangement with the Doctor focal point
- Follow up vaccination orders, receive and examine all vaccine shipments and ensure appropriate handling and storage
- Serve as the focal person to ensure compliance of the cold chain system to IOM and partners standards
- Track daily temperature reporting for all IOM fridges as well as calibration and maintenance of all vaccine cold chain equipment according to IOM and partner’s standards
- Ensure continuous monitoring and compliance of the cold chain system to the IOM and partners standards
- With the coordination of the doctor focal point, prepare for drills for power interruption of cold chain system
- Participate in training staff and TDY-ers on the relevant protocols and techniques related to Vaccination Nurse role and cold chain management
- Participate in vaccination related project meetings, trainings, and conference calls
- Record and share all reported Adverse Events Following Immunisation (AEFI) with the involved staff and submit them through the appropriate notification channels
- Generate weekly reports on the non-vaccinated cases and share with the doctor focal point for arranging second dose appointment
- Ensure that the Vaccination emergency kit at the vaccination station is regularly checked and in a well-maintained condition and that staff is able to use it when needed
- Lead daily nursing and administrative activities of the migration health assessment in the Migration Health
- Assessment Centre (MHAC) to fulfil the technical requirements of the resettlement countries in the areas of:
- Medical examinations
- Laboratory testing
- TB management
- Treatment and referrals
- Pre-departure procedures and medical movements
- Documentation, certification and information transmission; Directly observed treatment/therapy short-course (DOTs)
- Fitness-to-travel checks
- Other technical areas as may be required
- Supervise all daily nursing and administrative activities, namely:
- Assign tasks to nurses and clerks
- Monitor pre-examination information sessions, counselling, history, follow up and vital signs taking; verify that nurses and medical clerks enter information into relevant databases in a timely and accurate manner, in accordance to their specific functions
- Facilitate and monitor implementation of fraud-prevention measures, including testing performed outside of the MHAC
- Supervise G5 nurse, Data Entry Assistant, Admin Finance Assistant, and Receptionist Supply Management and reporting of vaccines, cold chain management, vaccination training, and reporting and operations
- Ensure that stock, medical kits and emergency kits within the MHAC and for medical escorts if applicable are well maintained according to guidelines and SOP’s
- Coordinate, and perform if needed, the medical escort duties when required to ensure migrants receive continued care throughout all phases of migration (before departure, during the journey, and at the final destination)
- Perform other duties as may be assigned
- High school Diploma / Certificate in Nursing with six years of relevant clinical experience with relevant trainings
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing with four years of clinical experience
- Valid professional license to practice nursing in South Africa
- Technical skills, including in phlebotomy
- Training or working experience in the areas of Tuberculosis management, mass immunisations, communicable diseases, laboratory testing or public health is an advantage
- Work experience with international Organisations is advantageous
- Demonstrated ability to maintain accuracy and confidentiality in performing responsibilities.
- Computer literacy required: Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Access)
Fluency in English are required. Knowledge of local languages is desirable
- Working knowledge of French is an advantage
- Inclusion and respect for diversity – Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences; promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making
- Integrity and transparency – Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules; maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour
- Professionalism – Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills; seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities
- Teamwork – Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work. Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team
- Delivering Results – Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs; monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs
- Managing and sharing knowledge – Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise; encourages knowledge – sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately; contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning
- Accountability – Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organisation; plans and organises work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated
- Communication – Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information; listens and seeks to understand without bias, and responds appropriately; shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others’ views and ideas and respects their contribution
- Leadership – Assigns responsibilities fairly and manages performance, taking account of individual strengths, workloads and interests
- Empowering others and building trust – Delegates appropriately to make the most of others’ talents, clarifying expectations and allowing autonomy in important areas while providing necessary support and encourages others to take responsibility for their performance; promotes ownership, responsibility and accountability for desired results at all levels
- Strategic thinking and vision – Aligns own actions to the Organisation’s vision, values and mandate
To apply, submit your application to [email protected] under the REFERENCE: VNSA2019/04 in the subject line of your email:
- A cover letter motivating your application
- Detailed CV
- Copy of ID
- Copy of a valid license to practice nursing in South Africa
- IOM Personnel History form which you will find on http://southafrica.iom.int in the VACANCIES section
IOM will not be able to track your applications without the reference code provided. Incomplete applications will be rejected.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Enquiries in respect to the job description and application may be directed to the same email address.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment.
External and internal candidates are eligible to apply for this vacancy.
For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first- tier candidates and will be given priority over external candidates.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, reference checks and residence/work permit and security clearances.
For more about the International Organisation for Migration, refer to www.iom.int