Are you passionate about International Business, looking for flexibility in your career and craving creative freedom?
Then come join our team! We are looking for team-oriented, resourceful and self-motivated candidates.
Job Purpose: Finance Associate
Shield GEO provides outsourced employment and payroll for hundreds of employees in over 60 countries. Our Finance team is the engine that makes sure all our GEO employees get paid on time every month. They create invoices, process payments, generate payslips and resolve issues. The team collaborates closely with colleagues in Global Mobility, Subject Matter Experts and Implementation to ensure our clients have a great experience.
This is an administration heavy role as you’ll be creating many invoices and payslips every month. You’ll also be helping our internal teams with any questions they may have around international tax, payroll and finance. You’ll have plenty of support from our operational teams, systems and technology platform.
You will have the opportunity to work remotely and with flexible hours. You’ll also have the opportunity to advance your career in a young, growing company.
Working with Shield
If you are excited by the thought of playing an active role in a company that provides opportunities to create and innovate, you’re at the right place.
We’re a remote-friendly company with employees all around the world. We don’t want to be limited by location and are open to hiring anyone from anywhere – as long as it’s a great fit for us both. Before we get to know you, you might like to get an idea of who we are so you can decide if you want to be a part of what we’re about.
Every person is unique. At Shield GEO, we encourage an inclusive culture that embraces each individual’s differences. We believe that diversity of thought and experience is vital to generating creative ideas, developing effective strategies and making better decisions.
When hiring we do not discriminate by any unlawful means including, but not limited to, race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or veteran status.
We can’t quite show you what it’s like to work with us but you can hear from our employees themselves. Here’re some articles written by our Co-Founder, Customer Success Manager and Digital Marketing Manager.
Do you share our values?
Our 4 values are integral to who we are. Our company culture is constantly evolving, every person who joins us adds something unique to our culture. But our values are shared by all Shield GEO employees. Do these values resonate with you?
We believe that personal growth and company growth go hand in hand. We look to foster our own growth and help grow the company. Every day is an opportunity to face a new challenge and get a little better. In our world of international employment it is impossible to know all the answers. Instead of trying to know everything, we focus on knowing how to solve problems. When mistakes happen we know it’s all part of the learning curve and we seek feedback to help us improve. We keep an eye on the big picture so we can identify improvements to processes and systems. As the problems become larger and more complex, it means that we’ll need more flexible and agile minds to come up with solutions.
We are self-motivated and love to see tasks to completion. Our managers and team mates are often in different time zones, and that’s ok! We aren’t afraid to step up when things get a little tough. We don’t like to micro-manage or be micromanaged. We trust our team mates to carry out their part of the process. We are responsible for our own workload and making sure we get our most important things done each day. If we get stuck we proactively seek help. And we show our reliability and accountability by keeping our systems updated. This also means our results can speak for themselves.
Do The Right Thing
Our clients trust us with compliance on their most important asset – their employees. This is a big responsibility! Doing the right thing means often times we choose a harder path and see it through to the end. It means we are open with our colleagues, clients and suppliers about bad news just the same as we share good news. And sometimes doing the right thing means we have to make decisions that will upset the very person we are trying to help. It’s a high standard but we stand by this very strongly. Doing the right thing also means considering how our actions impact those around us.
We are a service business and helping people is at the core of everything we do. We pride ourselves on how we interact with colleagues, service providers and clients. We recognize that in all areas we’re dealing with real humans.
We know that working remotely and dealing with such a mix of people around the world is challenging. We know that if we are having trouble understanding someone, they are also struggling to understand us. Empathy is fundamental to helping us discover what people mean and how they are feeling. To avoid misinterpretation we assume best intent in others.
Because so much of our communication is written and asynchronous, we default to over-communication. This means we give extra details because we don’t leave people guessing. We make sure our words are clear and easy to understand. And we are kind to our fellow humans.
- At least two to three years’ experience within Finance
- International tax or payroll experience strongly preferred. It will be helpful if you are familiar with concepts like employer social security, foreign exchange, gross ups and expense reimbursements.
- Comfortable with technology. We are mostly remote and that means we rely on a bunch of applications to keep connected. That means video conferences (Zoom), chat and messaging (Slack, Skype and Salesforce Chatter), shared documents (Dropbox). You’ll likely be working by yourself during parts of your day without access to tech support.
- Experience with Salesforce or Xero is helpful but not essential.
Essential Characteristics of this role
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to absorb information quickly.
- Able to prioritize effectively and work autonomously while coordinating with an international team.
- Exceptional attention to detail and maintaining accurate records.
- Ideally located between UTC+3 and UTC+8 time zones
- Some flexibility in working hours. We discourage overtime work and you will only be expected to work a standard number of hours each week. But we have clients and colleagues all over the world so sometimes you will need to be on calls in the morning or evening.
- Request invoices from our providers located around the world
- Create client invoices to cover the monthly payroll cost for each GEO employee
- Request payslips from our providers around the work
- Record and check payroll outputs within our systems to share with our clients
- Record incoming payments and setup ongoing payments
- Help to manage the team Accounts mailbox
- Keep an accurate record of information in our internal systems by the process due dates
- Check invoices for accuracy before sending to your clients
Payroll and Invoicing
Process Improvement and Projects
Everyone at Shield gets involved in projects. These can range from a simple creation of a template to speed up a task through to creating complex automations which eliminate hours of admin work.
- Assist the project team and other internal resources with recommending and implementing process and system improvements.
- Act as a superuser in project teams
- Help train other users when rolling out project solutions
- Keep internal systems updated with progress on all core tasks
- Weekly summary reporting
- Ensure accuracy of all invoicing, payslip and payment data is entered in our internal CRM
If you like what you’re read so far, this is a fantastic opportunity to join a global team committed to service. We’d really like to hear from you! Please keep your cover letter under 250 words and share with us what achievement you’re most proud of.
Be sure to submit your application quickly, as applications will close Thursday, 22 August, 11:59pm AoE!