Only short-listed Partners in Health-Lesotho has vacancies for the following position:
Title: Intensive Care Unit (ICU) Nurse
Responsible to: ICU nurse Manager
Number of positions: Two (2)
Duty Station: Botshabelo MDR-TB Hospital
We are searching for a dedicated intensive care unit (ICU) nurse to join our team and deliver vital care to seriously ill patients in our ICU department at Botshabelo Hospital. As a specialized nurse, she/ he will perform a range of tasks including performing diagnostic tests, evaluating the patient’s conditions, administering treatment, and providing constant support during recovery. Conducting follow-up visits, and responding to medical emergencies.
Patient Nursing Care:
- Evaluate and monitor the patient’s progress.
- Identify sudden or subtle changes in a patient’s medical condition.
- Administer medications per Doctor’s prescription as well providing constant support throughout recovery time.
- Perform Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation in case of emergencies.
- Perform a physical assessment of assigned patients in HDU/ICU.
- Continuous monitoring of vital signs and reporting any deviation from normal to the team leader.
- Provide respiratory support to patients who are in need including mechanical ventilator support.
- Monitoring the fluid balance status of the patient as well as electrolytes balance.
- Carry out various procedures such as intubation, assisting with CVC insertion and ICDT insertion, etc.
- Develop and implement effective nursing care plans.
- Modify patient treatment plans as indicated by the patient’s response and conditions.
- Assess the patient’s pain levels and sedation requirements.
- If necessary, respond to a medical emergency and alert the appropriate doctors.
- Care for patient needs throughout their recovery in the ICU unit.
- Complete all necessary paperwork before transferring a patient.
- Maintain patient records.
Organizations of nursing services within a Ward/unit
- Draws up daily/monthly work schedules for nurses and non-nursing personnel to ensure the right mix of staff at any time by the duty roster.
- Identifies training needs for improvement of nursing care.
- Order, interpret, and evaluate diagnostics tests to identify and assess the patient’s condition.
- Ensure that equipment or devices are clean and properly stored after use.
- Identify and report malfunctioning equipment or devices.
- Provides orientation to all newly employed staff on policies, protocols, and /or guidelines for proper taking off of work in the ward.
- Participates in clinical teaching of nursing students to correlate theory with practice.
Co-ordination of nursing services with other health services
- Works with the Pharmacy department to ensure the availability of drugs and supplies at all times for the sustainability of patient treatment and management.
- Inspects patients’ charts daily to determine the inclusion of necessary documentation for communication with other health services about the patient’s progress.
- Consult and coordinate with healthcare team members about whole patient care plans. • Deliver regular updates to doctors, patients, and their family members.
- Give psychological support to patients and their immediate families.
- Assist physicians with procedures such as bronchoscopy, endoscopy, endotracheal intubation, and elective cardio version.
- Liaises with patients’ relatives and other relevant agencies/departments to assist patients in the process of recovery.
- Direct and supervise nursing/health care personnel, a particular unit on one shift to patient’s response and conditions.
- Supervises the nursing sisters in the implementation of the nursing process for support and motivation.
- Assesses cleanliness of the wards for the prevention of hospital-based infection.
- Degree in General Nursing and Midwifery OR Diploma in General Nursing and Midwifery
- At least 5 years’ experience as an ICU nurse or Critical care unit.
MUST be registered with the Lesotho Nursing Council (LNC) and renewed the subscription.
- Good understanding of health information structures and technology.
- Available to work 12-hour day and night shifts.
- Demonstrate brilliant empathy and communication skills.
- Ability to work in a stressful and emotional environment.
- Relevant training and/or certifications as an ICU Nurse.
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Analytic mindset
- Excellent Communication
- Interpersonal skills
Commitment to Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Sexual Harassment: At Partners in Health, we are committed to ensuring that those who benefit from our work- including our patients, families and community members – as well as our staff are treated with dignity and respect and protected from sexual exploitation, abuse and sexual harassment. A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with Partners in Health’s PSEAH policy. Partners in Health will request information from applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.
How to apply: Interested candidates should e-mail their applications (subject line should be the position being applied for) and detailed CV’s including three names of traceable referees with valid telephone numbers and email addresses to: email@example.com not later than 24th May 2023. The referees should include the most recent supervisor/s. Hand delivered applications will not be accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.