SumOfUs is looking for an experienced HR professional to join our distributed, matrixed, international team of 37 full-time staff working alongside regular, part-time contractors. This newly created role will work closely with the Managing Director and Director of Finance & Operations to manage global human resources functions. The Human Resources Manager will be involved in staffing, compensation, policy review and formation, employee and labor relations, and risk management.
The HR Manager will collaborate closely with the Culture and Learning Director on staff training and development; and the Managing Director and Director of Finance and Operations, to execute broader strategies set by the leadership team. This role is great for someone ready for growth in their HR career, bringing the core tenants of human resources to a growing organization with creativity to execute day-to-day HR functions. The Human Resources Manager will be a key member of the HR team, and will have an eye to scaling systems and processes to match organizational growth.
- Manage all aspects of employee pay and benefits, including payroll and external PEO (Professional Employer Organization) for team members in 7 countries
- Manage international hiring and recruitment, including: draft compelling job postings, recruit diverse and skilled candidates, manage interview processes, and support hiring managers through hiring processes
- Evaluate and update our current hiring practices keeping abreast of best practices and innovations in the field, integrating them into our work while working with key stakeholders in the organization to implement changes
- Maintain and manage onboarding and exit processes working closely with the Culture and Learning Director to create an outstanding onboarding process. Work across the team to ensure alignment with the organization’s strategy and processes
- Manage and improve performance management processes in a matrixed organization, including coordination of promotion committees and performance reviews
- Develop, coordinate and execute staff training on HR-related topics
- Act as an internal HR consultant providing coaching and adhering to the organization’s policies and best practices in the field
- Draft or revise policies to address changing or emerging organizational needs
- Include equity and inclusion principles throughout work
- Conduct required risk management and safety and security assessments, with an eye to employee’s physical and digital security as a result of their work at SOU
- Manage organizational compliance with labor, legal and government reporting and posting requirements for the countries in which SOU operates
- Participate in standing matrix team(s) that address organizational priorities (such as HR, Security etc.)
- Other duties as required
Skills and experiences:
- 3-5 years of Human Resources experience, including at least 2 at an international organization
- Professional certification (such as SHRM-CP or PHR) or active membership to a professional HR Association
- Familiarity with the unique needs of international and/or distributed teams
- Experience managing payroll and employee benefits
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Eye for compliance and understanding HR norms in the countries where our staff are located (particularly US, Canada, UK, France, Germany, and Australia)
- Strong communication skills in English, and high-degree of trustworthiness with sensitive employee information
- Maintaining organized and secure records
- A skilled problem solver
- Flexible and a self-starter; able to multitask while also being highly detail-oriented
- Independent and self-driven, also collaborative
We don’t expect you to have all of these! A strong candidate will likely have 2 or 3 of them.
- Proficiency in major world languages other than English — especially French or German (native-level fluency is even better!);
- Experience with a unionized workplace
- Background with a nonprofit, even better from an online campaigning organization
- Experience with Bamboo and Vistra HR systems, and/or managing a PEO
- Experience with recruiting software, preferably Greenhouse
- Relationships with peers in successful organizations that operate internationally and practice effective Human Resources Management
This position is remote, candidates should be based in a time zone between GMT +2 hours (Western Europe / East Africa and GMT -8 hours (West Coast Americas) with preference for candidates located in the UK, France, Germany, Austria, or US.
May include occasional international travel, less than 10% per year.
Compensation is competitive and will be determined based on a combination of experience, seniority, and your location (for some context: for qualified applicants, this position in Montreal will pay between approximately $75,000 and $83,000 CAD per year, in London will pay between approximately £52,000 and £58,500 per year, in Berlin will pay between approximately €48,000 and €53,000 and Atlanta between $62,000 and $70,000 USD).
We offer five weeks paid vacation (plus additional sick leave, all major public holidays off, and 6 months parental leave), contributions to retirement, and the ability to work from home and work with a high degree of flexibility outside our core hours of operation. We cover private health insurance premiums for employees and dependents who live in countries without public insurance. We are happy to answer any questions you have about our policies and benefits in interviews.
SumOfUs is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of SumOfUs to provide equal employment opportunity to all applicants for employment and employees and not to discriminate because of race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, personal appearance, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, genetic information, or political affiliation. Equal employment opportunities will be provided in employment, recruitment, selection, compensation, benefits, promotion, demotion, layoff, termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.
People from communities that traditionally experience discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity or immigration status; women; people with disabilities; and LGBTQ+ people are especially encouraged to apply.
This position will report to the Managing Director.
SumOfUs is a community of people from around the world committed to curbing the growing power of corporations. We want to buy from, work for and invest in companies that respect the environment, treat their workers well and respect democracy. And we’re not afraid to challenge them when they don’t.
In an age of multinational companies that are bigger and richer than some countries, it can be easy to feel powerless. But there is a gap in their defenses. The biggest corporations in the world rely on ordinary people to keep them in business. We are their customers, their employees, and often their investors. When we act together, we can be more powerful than they are. Together, our community of millions act as a global consumer watchdog – running and winning campaigns to hold the biggest companies in the world accountable.
By working with humility and humour, and investing in its people and systems, SumOfUs aims to build the most effective, diverse, and talented global team possible. We are passionate, collaborative and fun to work with. We are always looking for new ways of doing things, and we embrace professional and organisational growth.
This is an exciting opportunity to work with a complex, global nonprofit during a time of transition as we rebuild and refocus our HR functions after a period of growth. The systems that worked with a smaller team are no longer quite right for a team of 35+ staff spread across the globe, so we’re taking a look at what’s working and what can be improved, with the help of a new role dedicated just to HR. We are looking for someone creative, visionary, dedicated to best practices and who is willing to learn and bring their learnings back to the team.