Jhpiego in Lesotho, in support of and in collaboration with the MOH, provides HIV/TB service provision and quality assurance technical assistance in Lesotho. The HR and Operations Manager will report to the Country Director and will oversee day-to-day operations for HR, IT and administration departments, as a cross-cutting function across all Jhpiego-supported programs (TSEPO, THEBE, CHATSI, and any new projects as they arise).
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Human Resources Management:
• Develop and ensure implementation of the HR policies, procedures and guidelines on issues such as performance management, salaries and benefits, working relations, disciplinary procedures and professional development.
• Participate in the development of the organizational structure, and ensure that the structure is kept up to date and meets the objectives of Jhpiego Lesotho.
• Guide the supervisors on the development of job descriptions for all staff and ensure that the Job Descriptions are kept up to date.
• Lead the process of recruitment and placement of skilled employees for Jhpiego Lesotho; including consultants and seconded staff and negotiate their contracts and packages.
• Oversee orientation of new staff.
• Ensure complete and accurate personnel files.
• Oversee that staff and supervisors develop the 120-day and annual objectives on time and that the performance reviews are done accordingly; guiding on that process where necessary.
• Advice the Country Director on salary and benefits to ensure that Jhpiego Lesotho is competitive in the NGO sector.
• Monitor that monthly payroll is prepared in line with Jhpiego policies and local laws
• Develop a staff development plan to ensure continuous learning and development of staff, as well as addressing gaps in performance and skill.
• Listen to grievances and implement disciplinary procedures in line with Jhpiego policy and Lesotho laws.
• Administer promotions and terminations of employees.
• Facilitate training of staff on the Jhpiego HR system (JEMS) and oversee usage, providing guidance as necessary
• Interpret and advise the Country Director on employment legislation and represent Jhpiego on labour relation issues.
• Develop and enforce admin policies such as, travel and per diem policy, IT policy, and security policy.
• Oversee logistical support to Jhpiego Lesotho offices in areas of office space, communications, and Information Technology.
• Ensure expatriates staff and their dependents obtain appropriate work and residence permits to be in Lesotho.
• Ensure adequate security is in place to safeguard usage and maintenance of office space, equipment and vehicles.
• Ensure that there is business and vehicle insurance and workman’s compensation for staff.
• Oversee the management of office supplies and stationery.
• Provide budget inputs regarding operational costs and salaries.
• Work closely with the Finance Manager on budget analysis to better understand spending patterns and plan accordingly for Operations Department.
• Review and approve requests, Purchase Orders, and payments in line with the USAID regulations, Jhpiego policies and guided by the Jhpiego Lesotho Delegation of Authority implementation plan.
• Degree in Human Resources Management/Business Management or related (Postgraduate Degree preferred)
• At least 7 years’ relevant work experience
• Proven understanding of, and familiarity with Labour Laws
• Demonstrated ability to effectively manage several major activities simultaneously
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office software applications
• Strong interpersonal, writing, and oral communication (English and Sesotho); and presentation skills
• Ability to work independently in an unstructured environment as well as with a team
• Handle employee matters and salaries with confidentiality and honesty
• Pay attention to detail
• Experience managing staff
• Experience working in USAID funded NGOs
• Experience working in global organizations