Health Practitioner ( HRL 15U )
Sappi Southern Africa requires a Health Practitioner (Clinic Sister) for our Tugela Mill to ensure the maintenance of a healthy workforce, to establish support functions that aim to improve employee health, safety and productivity, and to implement systems that ensure compliance with relevant legislation at the operating unit.
This role reports into the Operating unit Human Recourse Manager.
The main responsibilities of the role are:
Organisational health and wellbeing
- Conduct regular Health Risk Assessments (HRA) and incorporate the results in the unit Baseline Risk assessment (BRA) and the Operation Risk exposure profiles (OREP).
- Provide input and implement the Regional Health policies, procedures and Best Operating practises to ensure compliance and efficiency.
- Manage quality of the Health service delivery in the operating unit by setting specific objectives and driving implementation.
- Ensure implementation and compliance to the training and education programmes for the unit team and ensure the training elements are linked to the CPD requirements.
- Manage the unit clinic team: Manage the recruitment, recognition, performance management, development and discipline of the unit team.
- Ensure statutory requirements pertaining to the Health are understood, communicated and implemented.
- Co-ordinate and manage audit findings related to Health matters and implement corrective action.
- Advise and manage the unit equipment including calibration and the OMP contracts.
- Compile the annual unit budget and manage expenditure monthly.
- Assist in identifying and advise management of adverse health effects arising from workplace conditions and manage accordingly.
- Management of compensation for injury on duty cases, occupational health illness and disability and claims procedure through the RMA for health related matters as well as the reporting of injuries and illness to the Dept of Health and Dept of Labour as stipulated by legislation.
- Implementation and management of medical surveillance and biological monitoring programmes to ensure employees meet the inherent requirements of the relevant occupations and to ensure employees are not adversely affected by their work or working environment.
- Ensure quality control of all procedures and programmes implemented.
- Conduct regular HIV/AIDS impact surveys (e.g. Cost impact surveys, Prevalence survey, KAP studies, HCT programmes) of identified and potential HIV/AIDS risks which could materially affect the Company’s profitability and image. Develop and implement control systems to minimise risks in conjunction, where applicable, with Senior Management and external consultants.
- Develop partnerships with Dept of Health, NGO’s and other role players to implement a comprehensive health care programme, eliminating duplication and making optimum use of relevant resources.
- Manage the updating of health records of Sappi’s employees on the SAP system. Ensure quality control and confidentiality of all data captured on the SAP system to ensure employee data available for a period of 40 years after the employee has left the services of the company.
- Compile unit reports, analyse data and trends and monitor implementation of remedial action.
- Participate, communicate and assist the operating unit Health and Safety committees as well as the Risk Management forum on a monthly basis.
- Implement education and awareness programmes based on the Health Risks identified.
- Ensure medication management is conducted as prescribe by legislation regarding purchasing, storage of medication, diagnosing and prescribing and managing discarded stock.
- Implement medical waste management as prescribe by legislation, negotiate competitive rates with service providers, audit the service providers to ensure cradle to grave principles is adhere to and educate all employees expose.
- Provide primary emergency care, treat minor illnesses and refer as necessary to the OMP and co-operate with external doctors in the treatment of workers.
- Case manage the treatment process, until maximum medical improvement and review returning employees, regarding their fitness for returning to work after illness or injury
- Evaluate the first aid training to ensure compliance with risk, adapt training programmes and the first aid bag contents accordingly and implement regular education/scenario sessions with the First Aiders.
Medical aid fund management
- Implement prevention programmes to mitigate high claims and adverse health effects.
- Implement a process whereby the medical aid scheme refund the unit for services rendered to the members to ensure sustainability for the health services at Sappi.
- Manage the Incapacity Ill-health process at the operating units through training, liaising with the Insurer and the health service providers.
- Conduct annual trend analyses, make recommendations and implement corrective actions.
Advice on environmental accessibility audit with corrective actions through site assessments and taking inherent requirements of the job into consideration
The ideal candidate should have:
- A Degree/Diploma in Nursing (3/4 years)
- A Diploma in Occupational Health, (1 year),
- An Occupational health certificates in Pharmacology, Audiometry, Spirometry and Emergency Care
- Registration with South African Nursing Council
- Registration with South African Society for Occupational Health Nurses.
- Two years’ experience in the Occupational Health field
- A Diploma in Diagnoses and treatment (PHC) would be an advantageous
- NIMART and HCT qualification would be an advantageous
- Health Risk Assessment would be an advantageous
CLOSING DATE: TBA
How to Apply? Please click on one of the buttons below. If you encounter any issue while applying contact your HR contact .
Feel free to visit our website for further information www.sappi.com
Sappi is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Should you not have been contacted within 14 days of the closing date of this advert, please consider your application unsuccessful.