CATHOLIC RELIEF SERVICES LESOTHO
ANTICIPATED FOOD FOR EDUCATION PROJECT
HEALTH AND NUTRITION MANAGER
Reports to: Chief of Party.
About Catholic Relief Services (CRS):
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance, and peacebuilding.
This is a hands-on supervisory position responsible for promoting health and dietary practices as part of CRS’ efforts to realize strategic objectives for an anticipated Food for Education project. The incumbent in this role will lead efforts to promote meal planning, school health and nutrition education, school health clubs, social behavior change communication (both at school and community level), deworming, WASH in schools and supporting the national government develop relevant school health and nutrition policies. S/he will further support coordination efforts between the project and relevant government ministries and departments as well as support assessments to identify health and nutrition needs of vulnerable groups. The incumbent will provide oversight of health and nutrition initiatives of the project and take the lead in the design, implementation, monitoring and reporting of all training related activities of the project, either implemented directly by CRS or in collaboration with government and sub-recipient.
Roles and key responsibilities:
- Provide technical oversight and direction for health and nutrition activities as an integral part of the project and build on existing health and nutrition initiatives.
- Assess nutrition gaps and develop nutrition-sensitive activities to enhance the health and nutrition of project participants, especially in meal planning, dietary diversity and nutrition and health practices amongst pupils in project schools.
- Lead the development of materials, key messages and training in schools and communities to promote health and nutrition.
- Ensure effective partnerships, coordination and collaboration between key project stakeholders, particularly sub-recipient, and departments of line ministries.
- Develop and maintain effective and mutually beneficial relations ships with other key health and nutrition stakeholders.
- Lead, manage, and supervise a team of CRS and partner staff to meet program objectives.
- Conduct periodic reviews of staff performance per CRS’ performance management system and mentor staff to ensure high levels of motivation, commitment, capacity, and teamwork.
- Manage recruitment for the program, in collaboration with CRS country program management, to ensure optimum service delivery via recruitment of competent and qualified staff.
- Collaboration with the Ministry of Health
Preferred qualifications and experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Nutrition.
- Minimum of 5 years work experience with an INGO, government, or donor agency.
- Undergraduate degree with 7 or more years of relevant experience may be considered.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Computer literate.
- Ability to work under pressure, multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team.
- Fluency in Sesotho and English.
- Must be willing and able to travel up to 15% of time.
- Nutrition Program Coordinator and WASH Infrastructure Advisor.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
Please note that the position is only open to applicants who are citizens of Lesotho. Interested candidates should submit CV, cover letter and certified copies of academic qualifications, no later than October 5, 2022 at 14:00 by email to [email protected] with the subject line: HEALTH AND NUTRITION MANAGER. APPLICANTS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED IF THE SUBJECT LINE DOES NOT INDICATE THE POSITION. HARD COPY APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.
Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation. CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.